cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

shared_link_access_denied when trying to access a shared file using the v2 api (status 409)

shared_link_access_denied when trying to access a shared file using the v2 api (status 409)

davidg59
New member | Level 2

info:  the dropbox folder is in another users' account; I can access the file in question via the browser, even when I am not logged in to dropbox myself, by supplying the link_password when prompted.

However, when I use the api v2 and supply my token and the link_password, I receive the shared_link_access_denied.

Here is the curl call, (without the identifying information) -- 

curl -vX POST \
https://content.dropboxapi.com/2/sharing/get_shared_link_file \
--header "Authorization: Bearer _MY_BEARER_TOKEN_" \
--header "Dropbox-API-Arg: { \"url\":\"_THE_FILEs_URL?dl=1\",  "link_password\":\"_MY_LINK_PASSWORD_\"}"

The error I receive:

< HTTP/1.1 409 shared_link_access_denied/
< Server: nginx
< Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2018 10:29:50 GMT
< Content-Type: application/json
< Transfer-Encoding: chunked
< Connection: keep-alive
< Content-Security-Policy: sandbox allow-forms allow-scripts
< X-Dropbox-Request-Id: 7e722bc37889b435a4336c0661f86577
< X-Robots-Tag: noindex, nofollow, noimageindex
<
* Connection #0 to host content.dropboxapi.com left intact
* Closing connection #0
{"error_summary": "shared_link_access_denied/", "error": {".tag": "shared_link_access_denied"}}

Any suggestions, please?

21 Replies 21

overlookmotel
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for your reply. That's disappointing.

I don't know the ins and outs of Dropbox's internal working, but it seems to me unlikely that this would be a particularly tricky thing to fix. I suspect it's just not high on the list of priorities for the engineering team.

This does seem a bit strange - a known bug that multiple users of your product complain about and which remains unsolved for over a year?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@overlookmotel I don't know if the fix for this is difficult or not, but I'll pass your feedback along to the team.

overlookmotel
Explorer | Level 3
Thank you Greg.

Anuj-
Explorer | Level 3

How long will it take to fix this?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Anuj- Unfortunately, I don't have a timeline for a fix for this. I'll follow up here once I have an update on this.

Anuj-
Explorer | Level 3

@Greg-DB this is a bit urgent. Can you have it prioritize high  

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Anuj- I can't make any promises, but I'll send your note on the urgency along to the team.

overlookmotel
Explorer | Level 3

Yes, please do. I'm keen to integrate Dropbox into my product but this bug is a deal-breaker. Our clients want to password-protect their links, but our inability to download via Dropbox API means we have to advise them not to use Dropbox and go to use alternative services.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@overlookmotel Thanks for the feedback. I've shared this with the team, and I will follow up here with any update on this.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

This issue with calling /2/sharing/get_shared_link_file with a password is now fixed and should be working properly.

Apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused, and thanks again for bringing this to our attention.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Shyam Pratap Singh New member | Level 2
    overlookmotel Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?