cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't Install Proprietary Dropbox Daemon Ubuntu 22.04 Linux

Can't Install Proprietary Dropbox Daemon Ubuntu 22.04 Linux

scipio3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have been trying to install dropbox on my Ubuntu 22.04 Linux machine for a while now. I am able to install the deb package, but after this it says it needs to download the proprietary dropbox daemon.  This download takes a long time, it eventually starts to slow down the computer, and then it will eventually time out without completing the download. Does anyone know what could be going on or another way to download the proprietary daemon ?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution
As I guessed, you have some network issues. Can you download the link above - https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64 in some way and unpack it in your home folder? After that you should be able run the application, but without network connection it wouldn't work properly, most probably.
Good luck.

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @scipio3,

Hm... 🤔 That's sounding really strange. It really needs the daemon to be download on first launch after install; the daemon is not part of the package itself. This is usually not a problem and this task gets handled automatically by the control script, part of the install and responsible for the application launch. Are you sure your internet connection doesn't play some jokes to you? You can do the same by hand, using following command:

dropbox stop && cd ~ && rm -rf .dropbox-dist && curl -L https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64 | tar xzf - && dropbox start

Is it working now, after running the above command line? 😉

Hope this helps.

scipio3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

This is the output I get when I run the command you gave above.

Dropbox isn't running!
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 170 100 170 0 0 135 0 0:00:01 0:00:01 --:--:-- 135
91 104M 91 95.5M 0 0 61457 0 0:29:48 0:27:10 0:02:38 64778
curl: (56) OpenSSL SSL_read: error:0A000126:SSL routines::unexpected eof while reading, errno 0

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution
As I guessed, you have some network issues. Can you download the link above - https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64 in some way and unpack it in your home folder? After that you should be able run the application, but without network connection it wouldn't work properly, most probably.
Good luck.

scipio3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Its working now after unpacking the downloaded file into the home directory.

TitE
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have the same problem on Linux Mint, it is persistent. The Daemon installer does not start the download. Using the command line, the wget command also hangs. Only a manual download works. I doubt this is a network problem of mine, because it persists across dofferent networks and Linux Mint installations. Could someone contact Dropbox for this?

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @TitE,

You can try the same solution that works here. 😉

Good luck.

TitE
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Nope, download does not start. Thank you anyway. They should really fix the installer.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@TitE wrote:

Nope, download does not start. ...

If neither package nor offline archive downloads, that's NOT a Dropbox issue! It's your system network configuration issue. Find out what's there and fix it. You can get additional details when use -v option with either curl or wget.

TitE
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I can manually download the link: https://www.dropbox.com/download?plat=lnx.x86_64 with no issues, so it is not a network issue. I am not sure what the problem is. I will try the -v option and report.
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

bariserkus New member | Level 2
    TitE Explorer | Level 4
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?