cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't open file, which i have download from Dropbox using direct download link.

Can't open file, which i have download from Dropbox using direct download link.

Alexandar
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi There,

In mobiles, I couldn't able to open the downloaded file, which I have downloaded from Dropbox using the direct download link (here is the dummy link for your test - https://www.dropbox.com/s/zsfyc5tulg13630/AVP81355.mp3?dl=1).

But the same file can able to access through Dropbox mobile app.

Screenshot_2017-08-16-11-40-19.png

15 Replies 15

fstotz
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hey,

it is still the same bug which was reported in august, which dropbox refuses to fix.

The issue is, that if you use ?dl=1 to download a file, the content type is changed to application/binary for all files instead of mp3 or something else.

If ?raw=1 is used, it works.

But because Dropbox refuses to fix it, some software, like Download with all android devices, can not open the file, because it could not be correctly recognized.

Regards Felix

pc2k
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Use X-Plore file manager and get over it. Same applies to anybody who has the same issue.

Raffix R.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have this same issue. MP3 files are in dropbox, I try to play or download in browser and it wont play. Error says your browser supports mp3, but something went wrong.

I download direct, and the mp3 files have an extension of .mp3.mhtml

I tried just removing the added extension, but the player says it doesn't support this type of audio.

I'm running a stock LG with latest Android 8 and using stock app. Not using dropbox app.app. I checked and my other apps are upto date.

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Raffix R., for starters can you clarify if you’re facing a similar issue to what the OP has been describing us loading the .mp3 on a mobile browser or you're experiencing a discrepancy completing this action on your browser on your computer?

As you mentioned that you’re getting an “.mp3.mhtml” file upon downloading the audio, can you please check if that’s happening because you’re saving the file with the right-click options instead of following the steps on this resource? 

Once I have these details, I'll further advise accordingly! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Raffix R.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi Jane, thanks for a response...

This being android related, all my comments are based on a android 8.0 device.

I was sent a drobbox link from someones device(iPhone) to mine. Being a link, the platform should have no barring.  Even if I copy and paste the link, first thing it says is "Get a better view our mobile app" . I dont want another app. So, I select "Or continue to website". Even at the website, I am hit AGAIN with View in App banner with option of an X to close this. Oddly, today it worked to play in browser. BUT, cannot download without added extensions and play....Go figure?  

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for getting back to us @Raffix R.!

Just checking in to see if the issue was in the end resolved. 

If not, can you send us a screenshot (without any personal information) of what you see?

Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Raffix R. New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
    pc2k New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?