cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox notifications popup window is partially off screen; cannot access preferences

Dropbox notifications popup window is partially off screen; cannot access preferences

Don Jensen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox popup window is partially off screen; cannot quit Dropbox.  In Windows 10, in the task bar, I click on Dropbox icon in the task bar notification area and the Dropbox window pops up with the upper half off screen, so I cannot quit Dropbox or access any Dropbox settings, search, open Dropbox folder on local computer or in cloud.  Please don't tell me that is a software limitation with Windows display management.  Many other programs do not have this problem in Windows.  When I increase my resolution through Windows Display settings then Dropbox pops up the window with all the normal icon controls visible.  Up until a few weeks ago the Dropbox window would pop up with the menu icons at the top of the window easily accessible.  Not anymore.  There mus of been a Dropbox update that has screwed up that dialog window.  How do I report this recently introduced bug to Dropbox--not that I actually believe they will fix it. 

74 Replies 74

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @JS27, as a workaround, could you try Ctrl-Click on the Dropbox icon in the preferences to view the context menu, in order to access Preferences and other options?

Do you have any custom zoom or DPI settings for your screen resolution?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

JS27
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
I have a new XPS13 Plus 9320 default settings out of the box. It's set to scale 300%. If I adjust to 100% the laptop becomes unusually, but the dropbox pop up displays properly. So, it seems like Dropbox does not adjust properly to scaling display on high resolution screens.

JS27
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Becomes unusable*

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the info, we appreciate the feedback on this matter on how to improve the Dropbox desktop application. 

Jay
dropbox.com/support

Don Jensen
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I've been waiting for a fix of this Dropbox bug since June of 2022.  Earlier this week (01/05/2023) I downloaded and installed the latest version of Dropbox for my Windows 10 computer.  The display issue I reported which fostered this thread, has yet be corrected. 

Please...all of you who make suggestions to remedy this problem...you're probably wasting your time and mine.  There is a workaround for this problem, as I have previously reported.  I can adjust my Windows 10 display resolution so that it will display the configuration dialog window and therefore allow me to perform any normal Dropbox activity.  Nevertheless, that is not a practical fix for this bug.  I've been using Dropbox for many years.  I know how Dropbox has worked in the past—prior to last year.  It does not work well for me anymore, as this thread identifies, to some other users as well.  I cannot access the Dropbox preferences nor even quit Dropbox—which I need to do once or twice a week, without a lot of machinations & workarounds.  

jdbisbey
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am having the same issue, each time I open the dropbox icon, it has shifted further to the right, off the screen and the desired controls are unavailable.

version 165.4.4300

Changing the screen resolution doesn't affect the problem. 

I can however, and to those who also have this, and as stated before, I can ctrl+left click the icon and pull up a menu of choices that give me access to the desired commands.

I find it oddly amusing that every time I cause the standard window to open, it has shifted a little bit more and more.  eventually there will be nothing left! I would attach an image, but snipping tool, win+shift+S doesnt work either.  The screen dims with the offending dropbox popup there ready to be imaged, I make a rectangle.  Nothing happens.   Snip won't snip for me unless I click "new" and that scares dropbox away.  What a world of frustrating apps we have today.

jdbisbey
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I reinstalled the app, and the popup position is reset, however, the problem persists; each time I open the popup, it is shifted offscreen a little more.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jdbisbey and everyone else that is having this issue.

If you're still having trouble, can we reach out to you via email, to investigate further?

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

adgorn
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same problem here.

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @adgorn, sorry to hear you're also  having issues with this.

Can you please clarify your device's exact OS and the version and status of the desktop app as shown in your system tray/menu bar

Did you reboot your computer since you first noticed this by the way? 

Walter
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Joseph B.10 New member | Level 2
    John O.11 Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?