cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Remove dropbox items from the Windows 11 file explorer right click context menu dropdown list

Remove dropbox items from the Windows 11 file explorer right click context menu dropdown list

BarksySK
Explorer | Level 3

I have tried to remove all of the Dropbox items from the right click context menu in FileExplorer Windows 11 by deleting all the share folders in Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\Background\shell and shellex and Computer\HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell and shellex. But the items don't leave the menu. Does anybody know how remove Dropbox items from the context menu?

2 Replies 2

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @BarksySK, thanks for messaging the Community.

Currently, there isn't an official method to remove the Dropbox context menu items from Windows or Mac devices.

The desktop app might be re-creating the folders when it detects they are missing, or when the app updates.

If you have any further queries, feel free to message back.

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

PRFS
Helpful | Level 6

Well, dropbox, perhaps you should let us choose in a setting which context menus we want, LIKE A CIVILIZED APP.

And maybe, not override common keyboard shorcuts like "D" for DELETE, which you currently override, like an uncouth engineering team that thinks they're the only important thing going on on my computer.

And we HAD a working solution that worked for years by deleting the above reg entries via script, but no, you can't let us have control over our own computers, so now y'all have disabled THAT as well, instead of allowing us to use the registry to override settings as intended.

Stop trying to force your vision on my explorer window, and let the users use the app the way they want.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

PRFS Helpful | Level 6
    Jay Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?