cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Shorten link not working

Shorten link not working

Jonathan R.32
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi there!  All of a sudden, the shorten link feature in my public folder is not working - not that the link won't work - it won't shorten it anymore.

Any help would be appreciated - thanks!

49 Replies 49

Leonard O.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

The problem persists, and DB support seems to be unconcerned. To make matters worse now I can't even get a public link from the web site. The only way I can get a public link now is by opening my desktop DB folder and right-clicking on a file. This is not acceptable, perhaps it is time to return to Box.

Sverre T.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I'm very confused and upset. It seems like the public link functionality is utterly corrupted. I'm not able to use it at all and pretty pissed off with the lack of follow up on this critical and poorly designed functionality. Pls, get to work - whoever is in charge...

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It seems like the public link functionality is utterly corrupted.

See here:

pretty pissed off with the lack of follow up

Have you contacted Dropbox? This is primarily a user-supported forum. If you want a response from Dropbox then you need to contact them by opening a ticket. The information to do so is posted on the first page of this thread.

Mark L.58
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

This shorten link feature in my public folder not working is a very big disappointment, why [censored] did the developers mess with a feature that was perfectly fine all these years which many DB users have relied upon? I have a ton of links with various collaborators and now nothing is working and we can't paste more links to files in Public folder! [censored], [censored], [censored]! I see in my CCleaner that DropBox forced an update on September 22, 2016 - that was when it all stopped working - and I have been looking for other problems, but there are no other problems, it is DropBox itself. I work in software, and developers are always [censored] everything up...always! Fix it already people at Dropbox! Please, we are many who depend on this feature!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

Mark, please refrain from using that language here. Continuing to do so will lead to your posts being deleted or your account suspended. Thank you.

Also, the same applies... Have you contacted Dropbox yet?

Brendan D.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Just to get back to Rich R - as I'm equally frustrated as Mark L. - I posted a ticket on this issue on the 30th August, and got an automated reply. No update or solution, nearly one month later.

Thanks for reaching out about this! I've passed your report along to our engineering team who will endeavor to fix it.

As there is now a report with our engineering team, due to how our ticketing system works, we will need to close this support ticket. We will reach back out with any further information or questions.

We appreciate your patience in regards to this matter. In the meantime, please let us know if you any other questions or feedback.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

That wasn't an automated reply. A canned reply, yes, but not automated. The automated ones actually say they're automated at the top.

Yes, this reply is automated. And yes, we understand that might be frustrating to hear.

The issue was actually passed on to their engineering team.

Rob D.19
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Well, after nearly a month of radio silence from Dropbox Support I logged back into Zendesk to check my ticket opened August 30th. It says "This request has been deemed solved Sep 3". I received no e-mail with an update, nor was the issue resolved so I had no reason to even check the ticket system proactively. 

Interestingly enough, I now cannot get a "Shorten Link" option for any file. It's not my browser, it's not my computer. I've tried 4 browsers and two separate computers (one of which I've never signed into Dropbox with) before declaring that this feature has been removed; at least for me. I guess that's one way of resolving. 

Farewell "Shorten Link", you were once useful. Best of luck to those on this thread. 

-Rob

Brendan D.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I read Rob D.'s update with mounting disbelief - then logged on to find that DropBox had also set my ticket to "resolved".

What gives?

If they're going to treat me with this kind of contempt, then I look forward to logging a new ticket every day till they actually start communicating with me as a human being, not to mention a paying customer for nearly seven years…

Brendan D.1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I've just logged a new ticket, updated to reflect the fact that it now appears to be impossible to share any files from the Public Folder on dropbox.com

I also used my ticket to express my frustration and disappointment at the appalling lack of communication and very poor customer service on this issue.

Need more support?