cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to enter password on document - Android

Unable to enter password on document - Android

rstauffer43
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

In the past week or so, every time I try to open a password protected PDF on my Moto G4 or Samsung Tab2, I get nowhere as the keyboard shows for an instant and then disappears.

I click on the password area to enter the password, the keyboard flashes up on the bottom and dissappears almost immediately.  

Is this a bug in the newest update??  I am not sure when it started, but it seems to be the last week - since maybe May 29th or 30th, 2018.

Thanks - Rick S

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Akhil_Rajmohan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, Please follow the below steps to solve the issue.

1.Install Adobe Reader App in your mobile.

2.Click on the 3 dots on the right side of the PDF file and click on Open With Adobe reader.

Then you can able to enter password and open the document.

Regards,

Akhil_Rajmohan

View solution in original post

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Many thanks for highlighting everyone!

The fix for this will be in v101 of the app. Please ensure you continue to update to the latest versions.

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
I assume this is when trying to open via Dropbox app?

What happens if you try and open it via say an email?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

rstauffer43
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Yes, In the DropBox app (Android) I cannot view the pdf as the password entry box once clicked in, only flashes the keyboard.

I emailed it to my self and was able to enter the password on my PC - which opened the dropbox site to allow me to open the do c.

On my phone however, when opening the email, I was given a choice of using Chrome or Dropbox to open the link.  I chose Chrome and dropbox gave me the message to download the dropbox app- - Chrome would not do the same on Android as it did on Windows,  Again I have the dropbox app, so I then chose the Dropbox app to open the file and - I cannot enter a password, unless I could type it within about 1/2 second that the keyboard is visible.

Thanks - Rick

DWtamuc
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Me, too. I need Dropbox for a class and this app is useless if I can't search.

Akhil_Rajmohan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, Please follow the below steps to solve the issue.

1.Install Adobe Reader App in your mobile.

2.Click on the 3 dots on the right side of the PDF file and click on Open With Adobe reader.

Then you can able to enter password and open the document.

Regards,

Akhil_Rajmohan

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey rstauffer43 & DWtamuc, welcome to our Community & thanks for posting us here on this matter, I’d happily follow-up with you & help you towards a resolution in any way I can! 

Since I’ll need to recreate the issue with you, I’ve made sure to reach out to both of you directly via email (on the email address connected to your Forum profile), as I’d need some additional info, in order to determine the cause of the behavior & find a viable solution issue you’ve experienced. 

At your convenience, please check your inbox for my latest message and let me know here if you have any issues locating it. 

Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next email, so as to move forward on the matter together. Happy Monday! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Ross_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Many thanks for highlighting everyone!

The fix for this will be in v101 of the app. Please ensure you continue to update to the latest versions.

Wbjimmy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I’m experiencing this problem on a Google Nexus 5X using Android 8.1.0 and running Dropbox version 104.2.6. Is an update still outstanding to fix this? 

rstauffer43
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I am still having problems. But, with using the 3dot menu in the document and choosing "open with" I can enter the password once it opens with Adobe Reader. If I mistakenly try with just clicking on the document, I cannot enter a password as the entry field disappears as soon as I click on it

Wbjimmy
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes, me too. I’ve reinstalled both the Dropbox and Adobe reader apps on my android phone but find the only way to open a password protected pdf file in Dropbox is by clicking the 3 dot menu (top right) and opting to open with Adobe Reader (or Google Drive which I don’t use). Is this a bug or have Adobe and Dropbox linked up?  I notice you can now access Dropbox files directly through the Adobe app which suggests some sort of agreement has been reached.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Wbjimmy New member | Level 2
    rstauffer43 Helpful | Level 5
    Ross_S Dropbox Staff
    Jane Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?