cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you like about using Dropbox on Desktop?

What do you like about using Dropbox on Desktop?

maria_h
Dropbox Staff

I'm curious - what prompted you to download Dropbox on Desktop? What is the reason for working on desktop versus going to Dropbox on web? Do you use both? Also for those that use Web - for what reason do you not have Dropbox installed on your desktop? Would love to hear everyone's input on this! 

25 Replies 25

leta
New member | Level 2

I don't like anything about Dropbox at this point.  Downloaded basic because my real estate broker uses it to send me files for marketing.  I was moving some files from Onedrive to iCloud and dropped them on accident into Dropbox and now I cannot find them to delete and Dropbox wants me to buy more storage, which I don't want and don't need and because my plan is basic, I can't talk to any live people to get back to the small files and very little usage again.  Going to be deleting my account never to use again.  Such aggravation!  I don't know any company who creates a product and won't talk to its users!

fcaco
Explorer | Level 4

I can always access it!!

blBr31
Explorer | Level 4

I like the Mac finder window that pops right up/ Have to noodle around a bit to get the view I want online. Could probably get used to it but Ive been doing it this way for years. 

A_S_70
Explorer | Level 4
Non usero mai dropbox sul computer, è già un miracolo che uso la versione base per salvarmi pochi file utili per il lavoro, e faccio il meccanico mon sono un ingegnere per cui sono poche immagini di alcuni dettagli che potrebbero riservirmi, ma ho letto molto male di Dropbox in rete e mon sono propenso ad usarlo per cose piu a me care. Volevo provare Dropbox password per verificare se fosse fatto bene e utilizzarlo al posto di un' altra app ma gia fall' inizio è partito male... spero di trovare una soluzione al mio quesito altrimenti anche questa funzione e app verra disinstallata.
Per ora DropBox mi serve come una chiavetta usb da 8gb, cioè giusto per salvarci 4 caxxate o la musica da mettere in macchina. E pretendo o pure che si passi al piano a pagamento... psh... aspetta e spera

Trailbunny4824
Explorer | Level 3

I love it on my MacAir, I love it on my iPhone, I love it on me iPad. I need everything everywhere and logging into Google for my drive there is too problematic and their software distorted anything I create using microsoft.  Dropbox with an alias on my desktop has been a great option.

BUT

On my M1 desktop - my main workhorse computer - it is VERY problematic.  Its unreliable, even disastrous.  I use it for my business and I MUST be able to rely on it to hold my information and to give me access.  (How embarassing:  I had a meeting yesterday and was unable to access a PowerPoint and spreadsheet, the main topics of the meeting!).  Every few months, it stops working, synchs endlessly, and can't access files that Dropbox has on the web.  Worse - new files can't synch up to the web and are lost in cyber limbo forever.  I've irreplaceable documents - like my taxes!- now stuck in limbo.  Can't reinstall... system says I'm offline, which clearly I am not if I'm able to send this to you.  NONE of the suggested fixes work... because they are Windows PC oriented.  I'm really frustrated with your product and this now 3 year-long battle to keep it working.

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @leta, sorry to hear about this! 

You mentioned that you dropped the content into Dropbox. Is it safe to assume you're using the desktop app locally on the device, or did you use the website when this happened? 

If you visit your account online, are you able to see the files there? What about your deleted files page?

Keep me posted!

Megan
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

lilyplants3
Explorer | Level 4

I back up text edit files on my desktop to dropbox folder under Finder. It's simple to do. If I only go on-line if I want to try to send someone a large file. The on line view is messy until I have it show be folders. I haven't been successful with sharing except with my daughter who uses dropbox for business. 

Recently I turned on automatic backup. It was horrible. Banners were going across the display constantly. I couldn't find a way to turn it off. And I knew Dropbox was making a big change, but I couldn't figure out if i could still use it. I have a new Macbook Pro and would have enjoyed working on files from a 2015 MBP and a new 14" which has C ports.

I removed all files from Dropbox and decided to find how what is going on. This is my first attempt. 

It looks like I wouldn't be able to use it from Finder. I certainly wouldn't want to go on-line.

HELP!! thank you.

lilyplants

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @lilyplants3, thanks for your feedback here.

Are you having trouble disabling our backup feature?

Have you tried following the steps in this article?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

leta
New member | Level 2

I was logged in online and I accidentally hit the "sync" to dropbox button when I was trying to sync my onedrive files to iCloud.  The "sync" to dropbox stopped saying I was out of storage and that is where I am now sitting, saying I can't do anything in dropbox, but no files show up from that "sync" in order to delete

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

FNKDREAMBOX Explorer | Level 4
    avavolkov2000 Helpful | Level 5
    onewil Helpful | Level 7
    Grahame31 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?