cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: What the F**k is going on with Dropbox on MacOS? Spotlight and Finder don't work!!

What is going on with Dropbox on MacOS? Spotlight and Finder don't work!!

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Dropbox randomly updated to some new version and said everything is moving to Library/CloudStorage or something like that,

now I can't open files directly in Spotlight OR find using folder search in Finder (although global search "This Mac" works). 

Biggest issues:

1. Searching using spotlight and clicking on it DOES NOTHING!

2. If I am in a folder within Dropbox folder on my Mac, and I want to search for a file IN that folder using Finder, it doesn't find any file if I search using the search box in Finder, I have to click "This Mac" to find files but it finds files from EVERYWHERE when I only want to find files from within that specific Dropbox folder that I am currently in

How do I fix this? I need this functionality working ASAP ! 

Moderated edited to remove swearing

34 Replies 34

eheilner
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yet one more bit of weirdness.   On the Preferences panel the new (broken) version is showing as v167.4.4719

But the old (working)version is also showing the SAME THING: v167.4.4719

What gives?   I'm asking this because I need the old working version.

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

yeah its weird, just don't click the "get started" upgrade option that pops up when you reinstall from scratch,

Gregor M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm now just discovering that:

1. I am not the only one who lost access to both a functional Finder and Spotlight after the MacOS update.

2. DropBox Help is handing out entirely wrong and ineffectual fixes that do not work.

3. DropBox is not acknowledging the problem. 

Gregor M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I don't think the problems being experienced by many users can be categorized as an expected behavior, because the scope of the issues goes far beyond that matrix you linked to, from DB on potential upgrade issues.

Gregor M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Same thing. Post the MacOS upgrade, all my Excel files lost their Excel icons, and were replaced with Finder icons, and then Spotlight was no longer a means to open these files. You could tell that clicking on a file offered by Spotlight would trigger DropBox to start working (tiny clock appeared on DB icon) but then the open operation failed. 

This is really amazing that DropBox not only unleashed this much damage, but is not acknowledging it yet. 

I had to back up my entire laptop, erase the laptop entirely, reinstall MacOS.  And the problem still did not get solved.

Gregor M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Your solution doesn't work. This is a failed solution being offered to everyone right now by DropBox help.

Adding then subtracting ( +/- ) the main DropBox folder from the Spotlight utility does nothing.

But here is something that does: using this method on the actual Macintosh HD.

I had to rebuild my entire MacBook Pro from scratch, and there's not a chance I will upgrade again or take that MacOS update.

DropBox: ten years ago, was my favorite software solution of ALL time. Ten years later: just a disaster at every turn. 

Gregor M.
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yeah, what you need to know is that Hannah is offering the official solution offered by DropBox and it does nothing, zero, has not fixed the problem for anyone. This is DB's biggest fiasco yet.l 

philipkd
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
The best thing is to use Alfred. It took some tweaking, but I’m happy now

eheilner
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox *may* have fixed the problem.    I posted this in another thread - Scroll down to the bottom - it's the last entry on this page:

https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Apps-and-Installations/Spotlight-Search-Doesn-t-Link-to-Files-in-Dro...

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution
@eheilner it still doesn’t work if you upgrade, as long as you don’t press upgrade then you’re fine (regardless of the Dropbox version)

Seems like Dropbox have two type of functionality in one software so they should give us the option
Need more support?