cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is going on with Dropbox on MacOS? Spotlight and Finder don't work!!

What is going on with Dropbox on MacOS? Spotlight and Finder don't work!!

dragononamac
Collaborator | Level 8
Go to solution

Dropbox randomly updated to some new version and said everything is moving to Library/CloudStorage or something like that,

now I can't open files directly in Spotlight OR find using folder search in Finder (although global search "This Mac" works). 

Biggest issues:

1. Searching using spotlight and clicking on it DOES NOTHING!

2. If I am in a folder within Dropbox folder on my Mac, and I want to search for a file IN that folder using Finder, it doesn't find any file if I search using the search box in Finder, I have to click "This Mac" to find files but it finds files from EVERYWHERE when I only want to find files from within that specific Dropbox folder that I am currently in

How do I fix this? I need this functionality working ASAP ! 

Moderated edited to remove swearing

34 Replies 34

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Sorry to see you're having this issue, @EFARR.

Have you tried any of the troubleshooting steps in this thread, to see if they help?

Hannah
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

a1a1
Helpful | Level 5

I am also having the same problems and can't search dropbox from the finder.

I rebuilt the Spotlight index and nothing changed. I am using Ventura 13.3 with an M2 chip and have wasted HOURS and HOURS looking for a fix. Dropbox no longer functions for me. 

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @a1a1, could you try reinstalling the Dropbox desktop application, without uninstalling it first, via this link?

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

a1a1
Helpful | Level 5

Hi Jay,

Finally after 7 months of basically not being able to use my laptop I found the solution in another thread.

Instead of re-indexing Dropbox I had to re-index the entire hard drive.

From keganx: 

I have managed to fix this. (For reference, I have tried re-indexing Spotlight using command line, and does not work).

1. Open System Preferences and go to Spotlight's Privacy tab.
  2. Add the entire hard disk INTO the Privacy list.
  3. Maybe wait 30s.
  4. Remove the hard disk FROM the Privacy list.

@davidarden also posted the solution in another Dropbox thread: https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Create-upload-and-share/Dropbox-is-not-searchable-in-Mac-OS-Monterey...

Gregor M.
Helpful | Level 6

Thanks for responding. Historically, DropBox helpers have provided consistently wrong information. This added an extra layer to the disastrous DropBox update I experience this Spring, which forced me to entirely rebuild my entire laptop from scratch. 

Here is what was particularly disturbing: thousands of DropBox users had this problem, and DropBox spent weeks if not months failing to even acknowledge it.

Not sure what to say. I have refused all DropBox updates on my MacBook Pro now for 7 months. Can't imagine trusting DropBox ever again.

Note: I am one of the oldest DB users, taking the app onto my devices many, many years ago.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Gregor M. Helpful | Level 6
    a1a1 Helpful | Level 5
    Jay Dropbox Staff
    Hannah Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?