cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Apps and Installations

Have a question about a Dropbox app or installation? Reach out to the Dropbox Community and get solutions, help, and advice from members.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: iOS11 UIDocumentPickerViewController does nothing after selecting an attachement

iOS11 UIDocumentPickerViewController does nothing after selecting an attachement

jelteliekens
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

We're currenty testing an app for iOS11 support and bumped into a problem with the new UIDocumentPickerViewController. An action opens the new UIDocumentPickerViewController, iCloud Drive is shown by default, we're tapping on the Locations button and switch to Dropbox. When selecting an attachement, the viewcontroller is dismisses but nothing is happening. When selecting an attacthement from iCloud Drive things work just fine. 

While debugging we found out the delegate method is not called and following message is shown in the console output.

[UIDocumentLog] UIDocumentPickerViewController : didPickDocumentURLs called with nil or 0 URLS

Does someone else has this problem too? If yes, what's your solution. It would be nice to see this fixed before iOS11 is released.

Thanks in advance.

Kind regards

26 Replies 26

nick63
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Is this why I can’t add attachments to emails on my phone and iPad now?  Did Apple do this so 

I have to quit Dropbox? 

Do you have an estimated time (hopefully in hours,because I am out of business till this works again) when the fix comes?

thanks!

herebcs
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Apple did not broke the app picker as all other services/providers work perfectly on iOS 11 except Dropbox. Dropbox's implementation of the UIDocumentPickerViewController and

UIDocumentBrowserViewController are broken. They call documentPickerWasCancelled when the user selects a document.

The same error occured on an earlier version of Dropbox in March and that was fixed after a few releases. Looks like a regression issue to me...

Finally, just try compiling the document based app template in XCode 9. Apple's own code will not work with Dropbox.

Csaba

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi Csaba,

I may have mis-worded my question to our files team. I'll let them reply as I don't know enough about the issue.

Hi nick63,

I don't have a timeline for when our release will be approved, but I'm estimating in the next day or two.

------------------------------
iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

Fabiob65
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

J have the same problem with mail on ios11. J cannot attach file from dropbox.

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi all,

64.3 is out in the app store. Please upgrade to it and try again.

iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

nick63
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Hi,

I just checked the Apple Store. No updates.

I am in SEA, and use the Australian Store.

Please advise.

DaveZ
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi Maple

Just downloaded the update (I'm based in Ireland), everything works as expected, import fixed.

Thank you!

David

Maple
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hi nick63,

The update propagating to other app stores may take a while but shouldn't be more than a few hours.

iOS Engineer @ Dropbox

SvenT
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hello,

Grateful for this thread here.

Thanks for the new update today. I had noticed Dropbox export/import stopped working with iOS 11 using UIDocumentPickerController, due to the “0 urls” issue. With 64.3 it works again.

Had to reinstall the Dropbox app though, just updating it wasn’t enough.

Best,

Sven

CC_JF
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey folks! iOS engineer @ Dropbox here.

Please do update to the 64.3 version that is in the AppStore -- it has the full iOS 11 experience and should alleviate the issues you're seeing. If you have trouble seeing your files, make sure you launch the main Dropbox app once and ensure you're logged in, and you should see your Dropbox in Files. If not, try force killing and relaunching Files. We're pretty certain this is rare edge-case and will continue to make this better in future releases!

To @domhof:

I'm sorry this might be a bit off-topic: Have you found a fix for this in your UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController? I'm updating an app which has a working UIDocumentPickerExtensionViewController for iOS 10 but in iOS 11 I get the exact same error message in the client-app's console.

There is an issue in iOS 11.0 that is caused by an mismatch in the Document Picker's Info.plist. If you do not have a File Provider Extension, ensure that you only support the Import and ExportToService types, as reporting Open or Move without an associated File Provider Extension will cause your extension to behave incorrectly. It's possible that this will be fixed in a future iOS update -- but consider just removing those keys if you have them. Hope this helps!

Thanks,

Jeff

Need more support?