cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox moving my documents folder

Dropbox moving my documents folder

ainstushar
New member | Level 2

Hi guys, I just tried the latest beta feature that allows me to backup my mac's folders.

The issue is that when I select to backup my documents folder, dropbox just moves my entire documents folder from /Users/username/ to /Users/username/Dropbox/My Mac/ folder without asking me if that's OK. It just created a symlink in my home folder (/Users/username) that points to the the dropbox folder. 

THIS IS A HUGE ISSUE.

1. A backup software shouldn't move around the source files. I want my data to stay in a specific location that I prefer.

2. I have another backup software running on my machine that has to now re-upload ~9gb of files because dropbox decided to move the folder.

3. The replacement folder it created doens't even match the icon of documents folder.

This frankly feels like an intrusion of my data. Until dropbox can figure out how to backup files/folders without moving my data in the dropbox folder I am turning this feature off. I hope this feedback reaches the right folks.

Thanks.

11 Replies 11

nkwan
New member | Level 2

this just happened to me too and I am also v surprised they moved everything without a notification! my links are all broken and I'm having trouble moving it all back. Really hope it doesn't accidentally delete anything

dreebo
Explorer | Level 3

Yes this nearly gave me heart failure also. All my scanned documents that were on an external drive containing my dropbox folder are now nowhere to be found including the master online portal version. Luckily I was able to search for the missing files amongst all the increasing numbers of "selective sync" folders (another "feature" that's getting increasingly dull...)  

This may be a great feature but the trust element that is 90% of Dropbox vs "any-other-provider" just took a really big hit for me.

PLEASE TRY HARDER to be a bit clearer on what new features do before turning them on - maybe FAQ's including "Oops - I can't see my files anymore" 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

dreebo Explorer | Level 3
    nkwan New member | Level 2
    iTechnology Explorer | Level 4
    RobRox Explorer | Level 3
    paulienat Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?