cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Energy-efficient sync behaviour

Energy-efficient sync behaviour

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

just interested, for environmental impact, syncing 1 TB all the time probably consumes quite a bit of energy on the servers. Most of this content does not change much, but is used a lot, so keeping it offline is not an option. I often sync less frequently, but then I lose version history.

Would it be possible to set a low sync frequency by default and turn on live sync for single files when I work on them, instead of sync for the whole Dx? 

Or does it save energy if I have a folder structure that keeps unchanged files in separate folders from those that change a lot?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@g v. wrote:

does the constant searching for changes use a lot of energy on the server side?

That's not how it works. Dropbox doesn't search for changes.

Your operating system already knows about every file that changes on your computer (not just in Dropbox, but everywhere on the drive). Dropbox just registers itself with the operating system and asks to be notified when anything changes in your local Dropbox folder. When Dropbox is told that something has changed, it's starts the sync process.

would it save energy to run Dx less frequently? thanks

Just run Dropbox normally and let it work as it's supposed to. Whether you sync when something changes or you delay the process and sync it later, you're going to use the same amount of energy.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@g v. wrote:

Would it be possible to set a low sync frequency by default and turn on live sync for single files when I work on them, instead of sync for the whole Dx?

There are no options to control the sync frequency. Dropbox will sync a file as soon as it detects a change.

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

does the constant searching for changes use a lot of energy on the server side? and would it save energy to run Dx less frequently? thanks

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@g v. wrote:

does the constant searching for changes use a lot of energy on the server side?

That's not how it works. Dropbox doesn't search for changes.

Your operating system already knows about every file that changes on your computer (not just in Dropbox, but everywhere on the drive). Dropbox just registers itself with the operating system and asks to be notified when anything changes in your local Dropbox folder. When Dropbox is told that something has changed, it's starts the sync process.

would it save energy to run Dx less frequently? thanks

Just run Dropbox normally and let it work as it's supposed to. Whether you sync when something changes or you delay the process and sync it later, you're going to use the same amount of energy.

g v.
Collaborator | Level 10
Go to solution

okay, thanks. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

g v. Collaborator | Level 10
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?