cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you interested in hearing how one of our Community members uses Dropbox for sailing trips? Read all about it here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to move photos and files out of dropbox and on to my PC

How to move photos and files out of dropbox and on to my PC

Larry M.
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I recently set up my Ipad and Iphone to upload photos to my dropbox account. This has resulted in my dropbox account being full. I do not need all of these photos backed up in dropbox nor do I need to access them from my dropbox account. I would like to move them to a folder on my Pc (running Vista). That way they will be available in the future should I need them, but will not be taking up space in my dropbox account. But I can't figure out how to do this. In the help knowledge base it tells my how to remove them from dropbox, but then says this does not remove them from my account. So bottom line. How does one reduce the number of photos (files) to allow future uploads to Dropbox? The photos are also in the carousel?

36 Replies 36

Glenn D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I just figured out how to do it.  I am using MS10.  Not sure if this works on any other version of MS.  Here are the steps - it's really fast. 

1. Open Explorer (you can click on the file icon on the bottom of your screen

2. Use your mouse to roll down to the Dropbox icon (in the left hand column of Explorer)

3. Select (left click once) the Dropbox icon to see the folders held in Dropbox

4. Right click the folder you want to move to your PC - a menu will appear with about 18 choices. 

5. Use your mouse to roll down to the choice "Send to" and left click or hover over it - a new menu will appear with a number of choices (8 on my computer), including "Desk Top", "Documents", and "DVD". 

6. Select (left click) the place you want the folder to be transferred to (e.g. "Desktop") and it executes the transfer. 

7. Then find the folder (e.g. on your desktop and use your normal steps to move the folder or its contents to where you want them. 

Michael K.75
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Recently Ransomware attacked my computer's Files and Drop Box synced everything without regard to the fact it was a known virus/ransomware called LOCKY..

In order to avoid a repeat of something similar to ransom-ware attacking DropBox,  I would like to make one back up of all of my folders and files to an external Hard-Drive that will never sync, and will never depend on Drop box.  I went to different forums and DropBox Help and there is no clear and/or coherent answer..
So, in plain English : Can I copy/paste (not move) all of my drop-box folders to a hard drive that will have no relation to drop box whatsoever.
Alternatively; if I totally close my Dropbox account, will all of my folders and files be accessible to me from my own win 10 computer, without having to go online.

Thank you

Susan B.26
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

How do I upload/download/whatever photos from my camera directly into my pc (MsW7)without going through DropBox, which I don't want to use in every instance. I have copied photos from Dropbox into a folder on my pc but it is laborious and if this could be avoided, by avoiding DB altogether, I'd like that option.

Adele H.4
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I want to also know how to move files from Dropbox onto my PC Please

Thomas K.14
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Please help...

The usual instructions to move a file out of DB and back to my Desktop don't apply because when I place the cursor in the empty space to the right of the folder in question, "Download" doesn't appear.  That's right!  "Download" does NOT appear.  What appears is:

Open... Remove... Rename... Move... Copy...

and none of them allow me to Download anything.  "Open" opens the file, "Remove" does what it suggests, "Rename" ditto, "Move" and "Copy" only let me Move and Copy to another file within DB, so what's the point?

But NOT, I repeat NOT "Download". 

Any further suggestions?

Thanks!

Kay C.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I repeat my earlier post. I could not copy files out of Dropbox accessed through a web browser. But I COULD drag files from Dropbox that lives on my computer into a folder on my hard drive. Try it.

Thomas K.14
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

OMG!  Kay C.,

You're right!  I wasn't differentiating between trying to move a file while ONLINE, and trying to move a file in the DB folder already on my Desktop!  So simple, I feel really dumb!  Thanks!

Wendy B.24
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

DB won't let me sign into my account on mobile devices and I do have the app installed.It says username or password is wrong eventhough the same username and password work on my pc. Totally over DB NOT PAYING FOR MORE SPACE.

Devon H.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi friends,

I'm using Windows 10. Here's what to do.

1. Create a new folder on your desktop
2. Open that empty folder
3. Open Dropbox file and highlight all your photos/files
4. Click and drag photos from Dropbox to the OPEN FOLDER. Not directly to your desktop. Not to the new folder icon on your desktop. Onto the white, empty space of your shiny new, open folder.
4. Watch the magic happen.

This should work. It worked for me.

Margaret H.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I've just found a much easier way - at least on a Mac. Do not sign into dropbox. Go into your list of folders, find the dropbox folder - drag the files you want to put elsewhere onto the desktop and from there you can put them into any other places. Easy!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jill V.3 New member | Level 1
    Tony W.16 New member | Level 1
    Shiloh N. New member | Level 1
    Anita L.1 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?