cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple Mac User Accounts » one Dropbox Folder

Multiple Mac User Accounts » one Dropbox Folder

benniii
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have two (admin) user accounts set up on my mac (High Sierra 10.14.2) and i'd like to share the dropbox folder amongst them (as it obviously doesn't make sense to have duplicate files on my HD).

When placing Dropbox in the shared folder and setting up permissions correctly, i am having weird issues – the Dropbox folder in this location seems to switch back and forth in its accessibility (little red :prohibited:-icon appears and disappears repeatedly) 

any help? after having major issues with dropbox and high sierra in general – please don't tell me this is not possible! \o/ 

thanks! 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It's possible, but you're on your own to get it working as it is not a supported configuration.

The basics of it would be to install Dropbox under the first user and specifiy a common location for the Dropbox folder (a location that both user accounts have full rights to). Wait for Dropbox to finish syncing. Switch to the other user and install Dropbox under that user, specifying the same location for the Dropbox folder. Dropbox will index your files. Do not interrupt this process.

It is absolutely imperative that you DO NOT USE Selective Sync on either user while running in such a configuration. If you do, the files will be removed from your local drive by the first account, and then deleted from your Dropbox by the second account.

Also, if you get a message during the second installation that there's already a Dropbox folder in that location, temporarily rename the exiting Dropbox to Dropbox_OLD or something, finish the installation on the second account and immediately pause syncing or exit Dropbox. Remove/rename the Dropbox folder that it created (the new empty one) and rename the Dropbox_OLD folder back to Dropbox. Relaunch Dropbox or resume syncing and wait for it to index your files.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

It's possible, but you're on your own to get it working as it is not a supported configuration.

The basics of it would be to install Dropbox under the first user and specifiy a common location for the Dropbox folder (a location that both user accounts have full rights to). Wait for Dropbox to finish syncing. Switch to the other user and install Dropbox under that user, specifying the same location for the Dropbox folder. Dropbox will index your files. Do not interrupt this process.

It is absolutely imperative that you DO NOT USE Selective Sync on either user while running in such a configuration. If you do, the files will be removed from your local drive by the first account, and then deleted from your Dropbox by the second account.

Also, if you get a message during the second installation that there's already a Dropbox folder in that location, temporarily rename the exiting Dropbox to Dropbox_OLD or something, finish the installation on the second account and immediately pause syncing or exit Dropbox. Remove/rename the Dropbox folder that it created (the new empty one) and rename the Dropbox_OLD folder back to Dropbox. Relaunch Dropbox or resume syncing and wait for it to index your files.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @benniii

I just want to add a bit to what @Rich mentioned about being on your own if you take this route. As this configuration isn’t officially supported, our team will not be able to troubleshoot and assist if issues arise. Just something to keep in mind. 

Cheers

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

bda_n00b
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi @Sanchez,

Is there a supported method for having one local copy of dropbox files that can be used by multiple OSX user accounts?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
No, there isn't. Officially, it's one Dropbox folder per user account. Dropbox was not intended to be used any other way.

clocklan
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Can we request that as a feature? Google drive's desktop ap allows it. 

I have a personal and business drop box account. But I don't use the business caount and request that clients use google drive because it's much easer for me to use the desktop version. I have two separate business accounts with google drive for different organisations and can sync and access files between the two seemlessly. 

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

clocklan New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
    bda_n00b Explorer | Level 4
    Sanchez Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?