cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Selective Sync not showing all folders

Selective Sync not showing all folders

John A.14
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Unsure why, but a folder I generated online and then sent some files to, won't appear on any of the computers selective sync window. Using Mac latest version, 3.8.3. I can't untick that folder. I've tried renaming it, etc but it doesn't help.

57 Replies 57

Brian J.28
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

My belief is there is some form of an indexing file they store server side (i've deleted the one they create on my local machine) that isn't being updated correctly for one reason or another. Unfortunately when working with support they have you do the shotgun approach (try this and see if it did anything) versus fix the core problem until you're tired of trying things and give up getting an actual solution. Best I was able to get it to was a 5 minute wait using the prototype dropbox application. 

What I don't get is how enterprise users with "unlimited storage" are managing this. We use dropbox business but we're a small 5 man team with < 2tb of storage. How do these business with 15+ TB handle it with tons of photos, etc?

artur m.3
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

what solved it for me.. was i had to wait 60 sec..  to see the 9GB folder.

NICE WORK DEV TEAM..60 sec of death waiting.. golf clap. 

Elizabeth B.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello, I am having the same issue. I have tried what is says online. How is this issue resolved? 

Does google drive have these issues? 

Elizabeth B.8
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hello, I am having the same issue. I have tried what is says online. How is this issue resolved? 

Does google drive have these issues? 

Isabelle W.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Yep I'm also having the same problem.  The folder and the file names have no incompatible characters and are all quite short.  Syncing between my other computer and the cloud no prob.   Lots of space on my computer - the folders (about 50%) are just not showing up in my main folder... HELP!!!! (I even waited over night to see if it was just slow...)

Brian J.28
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

One additional note for everyone, I have experienced repeatedly that if you update your selective sync and if you have added a new root folder from another device, even though you don't see the newly added folder because it takes so long to show up, if you hit "ok" - it WILL sync it to your device you just updated the selective sync on. 

Obviously not a common situation to be in, but if you added a big meeting recording folder on a desktop and then were updating some selective sync folders on your laptop...  well needless to say your laptop will soon tell you the drive is full and you have no idea why this is the first place to look.  Not that I experienced this exact situation and spent hours tracking it down or anything... 😉

sj m.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Same for me. I wanted to add another folder to my laptop with limited HDD space, but no movement on the selected folders window. So I ended up uninstalling DB, restartingPC, reinstalling DB, and now I am still waiting for the folders to on selected sync to be read in. Its only been a 4 or 5 hours, and so far I have got zero folders showing. Hmmm. What to do? 

Brian J.28
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

@sj m. 

If/when it finally works it's all at once - it's not couple at a time. So yea, I left mine on over night. The longest I have left it up though is about 6 hours, otherwise i gave up and did a reinstall attempt again. Irritating to say the least and support just had me running through hoops until I gave up.

sj m.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Thanks. Ill try following your advice, be patient, and wait over night. Like you say, annoying when you are in a hurry, though.
Thanks, again, Brian.

Daniel M.68
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Everything used to work fine, no I won't show my folders even after hours over night.I can't figure out what changed. The only thing I can think of was upgrading to macOS Sierra.

Need more support?