cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I store Copyrighted materials in my Dropbox account?

Can I store Copyrighted materials in my Dropbox account?

Cyrdarxes
New member | Level 2

Hello, everyone.

I'm new to Dropbox and was thinking of getting an account. However, I'm going to be using it largely for my MP3 collection.

So, my question is: will I be able to upload and store said collection without it getting deleted for copyright infringement?

For the record, all my MP3s were legally purchased from online vendors such as Bandcamp and Google Play, so I don't think they can claim the material is "pirated", even though there's no way for them to verify that, unless they want to see some kind of proof of purchase, which I'd be more than happy to provide them.

Anyhow, I'd really appreciate any valid insight on this. I don't mean to be rude, but please do not reply if you don't know for sure what Dropbox's policy on this is. That means no "I think so" kind of replies, please. I emphasize this, because I don't want to end up uploading my entire collection just for it to end up being deleted based on poor second-hand information. All I know thus far is that copyrighted material cannot be shared, which is fine, because I only plan on storing the files for my own personal use, not for file-sharing purposes. All I want to know right now is whether uploading and storing copyrighted material such as music files is permitted at all.

Thank you.

1 Reply 1

Daphne
Dropbox Staff

Hi there @Cyrdarxes, thanks for reaching out to us here!

I can suggest having a look at our Terms and Conditions here, as there is a section there regarding Copyrighted materials.

Also, we do have a few other threads around the Community here (such as this thread) which should help provide some more info on this.

I hope this helps!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Daphne Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?