cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't delete a folder in dropbox

Can't delete a folder in dropbox

Iris L.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

After I delete a folder(not an empty folder). It will appear again after few minutes and all the files in the folder are gone, like an empty folder.
No matter how many times I delete it, it will appear again. All the folders in my dropbox has this problem.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

If a file or folder returns when you delete it, it's because it was unable to be deleted on one of your connected devices.

You delete a file on computer A. Dropbox is informed that it has been deleted and syncs that change to your account. Dropbox on your other devices is notified that the file has been deleted, so they also remove the file. On computer B, Dropbox is unable to remove that file for whatever reason (permission, locked, read-only, etc.). The result is that the file remains in place. Dropbox sees the file is still there, thinks it's been added and uploads it back to your account. All your other devices are notified of the "new" file and they sync it back down.

So the problem is that the file or folder in question on one of your devices is unable to be deleted. Figure out which (use Previous Versions to see which computer is adding it back) and fix what is holding it there, and you'll be able to delete it.

View solution in original post

26 Replies 26

Iris L.1
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am not running on a MAC, but some of the folder sharer are using MAC, how do we solve this problem ?

M R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I too having the same problem. I cannot seems to delete any folders on my dropbox account. I did not use a Mac. I am currently using a PC.
Can anyone please help.

I uninstall the old version of dropbox and reinstall the newer version.

M R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi

The only way is to wipe out deleting all the folders. And the the folder that have been reappears need to delete the files and then delete the folder. I have to do this way. I have no choice. That is the only solution that I got. I even updated to the latest version of dropbox by uninstalling and reinstalling the newer versions.

Please take note: -
Make sure before you delete all the folders. Back it up first!

Susan D.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I am having the same problem. I have some old folders that I want to delete. If I delete them, they pop right back up. I even tried re-naming them so at least they would be at the bottom of the list. The re-named folder goes to the bottom and the original one stays at the top. These folders were shared with me and I filed the information into my docs, so the folder is actually empty, I just can't delete it. Please help 🙂

M R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Susan D, backup all the folders to your computer if you do not have any copy folders in your dropbox. If you do have a copies of the same folders.

Simply delete all the folders completely. Check your folders again that have been reappearing. And delete the files one by one within the folders.

Leesa T.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

I also cannot delete a folder no matter how many times I try. The folder is in a folder that is shared by numerous people. We have all deleted it but it keeps coming back. Nothing is in the folder except two subfolder and they all keep showing up again. I tried to rename it DO NOT USE but it reverted back to the old name. Argh...help!

M R.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Leesa

Before you proceed, make sure you remember your sign in ID and password to your dropbox account.

You need to inform the people with whom you have shared your files with.

Tell them Is it okay of you to delete all the files in your dropbox.

Because you have continuing issues with your dropbox.

Just make sure, before you delete any files, you have to backup all the files in your computer first.

Sign in to http://www.dropbox.com and delete all the folders there.

If it keep reappearing.

Click on show deleted hidden files and remove all those files.

Then if it keep reappears again.

Remove the remaining files within that folder one by one. And then delete the folder.

Now download a new version of dropbox.

Next uninstall the old version of dropbox.

Then install the newer version dropbox which you have downloaded previously.

Sign in your dropbox again.

Taimur K.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Just login from dropbox website and delete it from there. Apparently it doesn't deletes from app folder directly.

Eleonore L.
New member | Level 1
Go to solution

Hi M. R, I've tested your solution.

It doesn't work for me unfortunately.

If I'm on the website, there are 3 folders (among many) that I can't delete because in them, a few files won't accept to be deleted. They always appear back a few seconds after being deleted. Those folders are not shared with other parties.

Has anyone some further ideas?

Thanks a lot!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Mick S.4 New member | Level 2
    Don C.11 New member | Level 1
    Rich Super User II
    Igor G.3 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?