cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Deleting files Windows 11

Deleting files Windows 11

Joycegtx1951
Helpful | Level 7

Since I upgraded to windows 11, now when I delete a file in Windows explorer there’s always a prompt asking if I am sure, it asks me if I want to delete for everyone, because it's online only...... 

this is annoying especially when I am trying to cleanup my Dropbox folders and deleting a lot of files. I have a paid account so files can be retrieved if deleted accidentally. I was told there’s no way to turn this off. I think the user should have that option. There is no prompt if I delete files using my iPad. So if Dropbox really wanted to say this is a safety measure, why wouldn’t you do it on all platforms? I hope you will consider making this an option. 

15 Replies 15

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Joycegtx1951, thanks for bringing this to our attention.

When you delete files from the computer, could you attach a screenshot showing the prompt you're getting?

This will help me to assist further!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Joycegtx1951
Helpful | Level 7

3AD7891C-D7EB-493F-9090-6B74F7FED7F9edited.jpg1954B925-976B-4A2A-B493-E7242CF37CBDedited.jpg

thanks for your help

Nancy
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Joycegtx1951! Thanks for the screenshots and sorry for jumping in. 

Are you seeing this warning for all files nonetheless, or just for files that have been shared with other Dropbox users?

Nancy
dropbox.com/support

Joycegtx1951
Helpful | Level 7

we have one dropbox account. I’m not sure how to determine if the files are shared. I have tried this on multiple files in multiple directories and get the same cautionary pop-up. How do I determine if directories are shared?

Joycegtx1951
Helpful | Level 7

I just did a search on how to check sharing. The folder I am working in is not shared

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Joycegtx1951, based on the info you gave us, it seems you might be using a Business plan, is that right? 

In general, this is a security measure to ensure that users are aware that deleting the file would delete it from other connected devices for others too.

We appreciate the feedback on this matter and on the way to improve the Dropbox service. 

I've made sure to pass this along to our dev team for review to see if this can be implemented in a future version of the desktop app. Sorry that I can be of much more help here!

Let me know if you have any other questions - Thanks!

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Joycegtx1951
Helpful | Level 7

Thanks for your help. This is a personal plan, when I worked I also used their business plan. I have been retired for 2 years. Not sure what’s going on,

Joycegtx1951
Helpful | Level 7

Again, thanks for your feedback. This issue did not surface until I upgraded to Windows 11.  I have confirmed with my employer that I am no longer part of that team. We have only one account. My husband uses the same login credentials as I do. In the root of the dropbox folder there are folders that are shared. However, in our personal drive, none of the files are shared.  My files are currently setup for online only. I can't believe there isn't a solution. As I said, if it were a safeguard, why doesn't it happen on my ipad when I try to delete files?

Megan
Dropbox Staff

Hi @Joycegtx1951, thanks for the update! 

Have you tried uninstalling, then re-installing the app from scratch? 

Megan
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?