cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox with an external SSD

Dropbox with an external SSD

timahall
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi!

I have my Dropbox folder synced with an external SSD because, quite simply, there is no room on my internal SSD for it. I manage this by only opening the Dropbox app when I have the SSD connected.

I do have a question though. If I accidentally open the Dropbox app when the external SSD isn't connected, will my files be completely removed online or will they be moved to the 'deleted files' folder?

Thanks a lot! Keep up the good work.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@timahall wrote:

This doesn't answer my question.

Sorry, I missed that part. Was focused on the external drive bit. Any files deleted from your account go to Deleted Files, regardless of what caused them to be deleted.

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@timahall wrote:

I do have a question though. If I accidentally open the Dropbox app when the external SSD isn't connected, will my files be completely removed online or will they be moved to the 'deleted files' folder?

It's highly advised that you not store the Dropbox folder on an external drive, just for such a scenario. In most cases, Dropbox would see the entire folder missing and prompt you to reconnect it, but should Dropbox try to sync before it detects that the entire folder is gone, it could result in files being deleted from your account. It's rare, but it can happen under certain circumstances.

timahall
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I have to store them on an external drive. It's either that or not use Dropbox at all. There is no space for so many files on my internal drive.

This doesn't answer my question. If my files happened to be removed online due to the folder not syncing (due to, in my given example, the local drive containing the Dropbox folder being disconnected), would they be completely removed from the online storage or moved to 'Deleted files'?

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@timahall wrote:

This doesn't answer my question.

Sorry, I missed that part. Was focused on the external drive bit. Any files deleted from your account go to Deleted Files, regardless of what caused them to be deleted.

timahall
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Oh, that's great. I feel safer in using Dropbox with my external drive if I can keep an eye on 'Deleted files' to make sure nothing being removed because of syncing problems.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

timahall Explorer | Level 3
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?