cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Image thumbnail not showing up, only generic icon when i goto 'camera uploads' to try to attach imag

Image thumbnail not showing up, only generic icon when i goto 'camera uploads' to try to attach imag

mm-nyc
Helpful | Level 5

hi, i just had to reinstall my pc, reinstall dropbox, etc.. all good.

but in outlook i goto attahc an image, i goto my 'dropbox\camera uploads\ folder, and all i see are generic blue iconsicon.png, not the thumbnail image... how can i select the right attachment if i cnanot see it?

this also happens when i use windows explorer, and i goto 'dropbox\ (any dropbox folde with images in it)
help!
ive got the dropbox sync on, its not paused... it was worknig fine before i had to reinstall. so i know it can work.

not sure what options need to be edited, but  dropbox is worthless like this

thx

49 Replies 49

Jay
Dropbox Staff

Hi @mm-nyc, thanks for posting on the Community!

Is it possible that you're on a paid plan and have Smart Sync enabled? Also this file is local, perhaps the others have a cloud icon, meaning they're online-only.

You'll need to right-click the files or folder and choose Smart Sync > Local.

For files with the green tick, it's possible that Windows needs to open the file first, or index the folder, in order for the thumbnail to appear. Does this issue only occur for files in the Dropbox folder?

Let me know how it goes!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Immortaleye
Helpful | Level 6

I have now gone through a few posts about this going back well over a year and it would appear that Dropbox have no interst in resolving this!

I am a photographer, so not having thumbnail images or having them disappear is not simply an irritant. It makes the program I am paying for useless. From what I have noticed one way the thumbnails seems to 'vanish' if you drag the file onto say an HTML5 uploader for websites. Or indeed into Photoshop. Or use a Photoshop action to pull that image in. This never used to happen. It seems to be since this 'cloud' sync nonsense was slipped in as the default without any fanfare.

If this is not going to get resolved I will simply have to move everything over to another system and cancel dropbox

DiggerDawson
New member | Level 2

Same problem. 

Screenshot 2021-02-28 182401.jpg

If I drag the file onto my desktop, I can see the thumbnail. But I need to see all the thumbnails to edit my photos. The files are showing Smart Sync Local. If I change this to Online Only, and then go back and change it to Local, the thumbnail appears. I can restore the thumbnails by selecting ALL and then going through this process, but it's a bit annoying and a waste of time.

Is there a better solution?

 

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
So that we can have a look into this in more detail, we'd need to continue through our Support channel alongside some device specific info.

If you haven't already reached out to the team, would you mind if I reach out directly to the email linked with your profiles here @DiggerDawson and @Immortaleye?

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Immortaleye
Helpful | Level 6

More than happy for you to contact me. The alternative is to consider moving to another platform

mm-nyc
Helpful | Level 5

apparently its working now, i dont know how it resolved itself.m

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for your updates!

@Immortaleye, I've just sent you a brief message, so please check your inbox when you have the time.

I'm glad to hear that @mm-nyc! If you have any other trouble with this, don't hesitate to give me a nudge here.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rossella Brambilla
New member | Level 2

I also have this problem. I sell jewellery and need to see the thumbnails to select the right file. I have a Dropbox plus subscription but this makes it fairly useless.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Thanks for joining us here @Rossella Brambilla!

To have a better look into this with us, I've just sent you a brief email to the address linked with your profile here.

Please check your inbox when you have the chance, and get back to me there if you'd like to.

In the meantime, a workaround I can suggest is to make any local files that are missing the thumbnail to "online only", and then make then available locally through the right click menu instead of double clicking them.

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DrBob99 New member | Level 2
    Hug1 New member | Level 2
    SteveLV Explorer | Level 4
    Ellen56 Helpful | Level 6
What do Dropbox user levels mean?