cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: iPad Pro upload failed from Microsoft word

Issues editing Word documents with Dropbox

megx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi 

I have for ages had the practice of going outdoors and editing word documents stored in dropbox on my phone or tablet with Microsoft Word app

This has always worked like a dream, any changes would be automatically saved with no error messages and synced to all devices.

Now I am getting error messages about "changes made by other user, your file can't be saved"  or "can't upload file" sometimes AFTER I've done a stack of work in that file, so all those edits are lost.  Or the file will open "read only" !

It seems I have to save a new version with a new name every time I open a file on my phone before I can be sure it will do edits without some drama or other.

Dropbox folder on my computer is working perfectly.

This is driving me insane as  I do this work every day, and had no issue til now. 

Any ideas?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Frank_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all,

As Sanchez mentioned, as the problems are occurring from within the Microsoft applications this sounds like an issue on their side. We'd still like to help get this one resolved, so to try and fix sync issues I'm going to ask those affected to try unlinking and relinking their Dropbox account from the Microsoft Office mobile app:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/microsoft-office-faq#unlink/relink

To unlink a Dropbox account from an Office Mobile app:

1. Open the Office Mobile app.
  2. Tap the folder icon.
  3. From the list of places, tap and hold Dropbox.
  4. Once you've held your finger on Dropbox for a few seconds, a trash can icon will appear in the top right corner of the screen. Tap the trash can to remove Dropbox from the Office Mobile app.

To re-link a Dropbox account to an Office Mobile app:

1. Open the Office Mobile app.
  2. Tap the folder icon.
  3. Tap Add a place.
  4. Tap Dropbox.
  5. Tap Allow next to the Dropbox account listed (if you're already signed in to the Dropbox app). Or, to link a new Dropbox account, tap Use a different account. You'll be directed to a browser window where you can enter the credentials for the Dropbox account you'd like to connect.

Let me know if this helps to resolve any issues with syncing files to Dropbox from within the Microsoft Office app!

Frank

View solution in original post

64 Replies 64

Benjaminhamrah
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I am using word on an iPad to edit and create word documents, but shortly after I start working on them i get the error message on the word app that says “cant upload, something is wrong...” sometimes the error message says something to the effect of the file being open somewhere else and cant save.. Please help!!

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Benjaminhamrah, welcome to our community! 

Can you give me some more specifics about this? Screenshots of the errors or other messages would be helpful too. 

Are you running our latest mobile app, 80.2? What version of iOS is your iPad on? 

Let me know.
Thanks! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Eja99
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Whenever I work on Microsoft word files offline then re-connect to the internet I get an ‘upload failed’ error message in Microsoft Word for IPad Pro. I usually have to save a new copy to get it to sync to Dropbox and then half the time it won’t save changes in the new copy and I’ll have to create another one. Any help on this would be awesome.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Eja99, welcome to our community!

Has this just started happening? Can you make sure that your iPad is running the latest version of its supported OS (11.2.5 for newer devices), and that you’re on our latest app, version 80.3

I would also see if there’s an update for your mobile Office suite. 

Have a look at the above, and let me know how it goes. 
Thanks!

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Eja99
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks for the response. As far as I can tell I have the latest version of everything and I’m still having the same issue, word isn’t syncing any changes that I make while not connected to the internet.

Thanks again.

Jberkowitz
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Since the OP is not replying, I will.. Same exact issue.  I don’t know how to post screenshots here, so I’ll just say it is a banner that appears at the top of the document but below the toolbar, and there is an X to dismiss it.  Sometimes it clears up on its own, but it is becoming more frequent and taking longer to resolve.  The only solution is to save with a different file name, thus creating a whole new document, which is quite inconvenient and confusing, as I’m dealing with a novel manuscript, and can’t afford to mix up versions and lose hours of edits over this.

I use both an iPad mini 3 and an iPhone 7, both usin the very latest iOS, 11.2.5.  I have version 80.3.2 of Dropbox, although this has been going on for several sessions, now. I’ve tried signing out and back in to both Word and Dropbox, as well as unlinking and delinking the accounts, and I’ve cleared the cache, which is an option in Dropbox. I stopped short of uninstalling either program, as I currently have a nu,ber of documents in the “unable to sync” mode, meaning I would be deleting them permanently.

Sare
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I’m having the exact same issue on an iPad Pro, running iOS 11.2.5 and Dropbox is 80.3.2

Any help would be great, not happy to be paying for Dropbox and to have to deal with this issue every time I open a file.......

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Just to check, the doc you’re editing on Word, is it one that was previously downloaded from Dropbox when you were online, or simply created in Word offline, and then chosen to upload for the first time to Dropbox?

Have you tried unlinking and relinking the Dropbox account with Word to ensure the connection is stable? Let us know how it goes!

Jay
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Eja99
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Yes this is a document that's been previously downloaded from dropbox when I was online.  Re-adding dropbox to word doesn't seem to make a difference.

Thanks.

Need more support?