cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: iPad Pro upload failed from Microsoft word

Issues editing Word documents with Dropbox

megx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi 

I have for ages had the practice of going outdoors and editing word documents stored in dropbox on my phone or tablet with Microsoft Word app

This has always worked like a dream, any changes would be automatically saved with no error messages and synced to all devices.

Now I am getting error messages about "changes made by other user, your file can't be saved"  or "can't upload file" sometimes AFTER I've done a stack of work in that file, so all those edits are lost.  Or the file will open "read only" !

It seems I have to save a new version with a new name every time I open a file on my phone before I can be sure it will do edits without some drama or other.

Dropbox folder on my computer is working perfectly.

This is driving me insane as  I do this work every day, and had no issue til now. 

Any ideas?

64 Replies 64

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @SandersKev, welcome to our community! 

Sorry to hear that you’re experiencing this, so let’s take a look. 

Can you tell me what has changed on your phone recently? Has there been an update to the operating system (Android) or the document editor you’re using? Does this happen with all excel files? Are you using the latest version of our app (80.2)? 

Let me know, and we’ll go from there. 
Thanks! 

Sanchez
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

SandersKev
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Sanchez,

Thanks for your prompt reply

Since this problem has been going on for a little while, ( i would say 2 weeks, perhaps more), I am not entirely sure what might have changed in terms of updates. All my apps (including dropbox) are up to date, I use the microsoft excel editor which was, according to the google play store, last updated january 17th, so that could potentially be a thing. The latest android update was relatively recent but I cannot quite remember when.

I just updated another excel file on my phone, that one saved perfectly.

I then went back to the problem file and it somehow also suddenly saved. I then attempted to alter some things in the problem file again but now the problem is occurring again and it will not save saying "there was a problem uploading this file. Last uploaded 5 minutes ago".

It feels as if the file would still be open somewhere, somehow and thus unable to be updated, however I went through the process that made it suddenly work 5 minutes ago, without any luck. Manually closing and force-stopping the excel app from the app settings page also did not have an effect.

Memories23
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

So for about the last week, my Excel and Word apps on my iPad no longer let me download and edit my Dropbox files. Excel says it cannot download my file and that it is unable to connect to the server. Word says it can't find the file and that it's moved location since the last time I opened it. The only thing I did, which doesn't even make sense, is move my Dropbox icon to a different screen. I have had no problems until this and I'm just very confused. Word also says that the last downloaded time for a file was in 2040 after I try opening it. So that's fun.

All of my apps are up to date, but my iOS is only 9.3.5. I've had this thing forever, and that's the last iOS I'll be able to get. I'm not that tech savvy, so please bear with me, but I look forward to some help! Thanks!

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @Memories23, welcome to our community! 

I’m sorry to hear about this, and I would like to put you in touch with one of our support agents for assistance. By writing in to our team, our agents can access certain details of your account and help with some more account-specific troubleshooting. 

You can submit a support ticket here, and then let me know your 7-digit ticket number so I can make sure that someone gets on it right away! 

Keep in mind that this may end up being an issue with Microsoft’s app, instead of ours, but we’ll let our team make that determination. 

Cheers

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

:arrows_counterclockwise: What do you think about the Community? Fill out our survey here!

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for the extra details, @SandersKev.

This is sounding more and more like a Microsoft issue, but let’s go ahead and put you in touch with our support team for further investigation.

You can submit a support ticket
here, and then let me know your ticket number so I can make sure to get someone on it right away! 

Cheers

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Memories23
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi @Sanchez! Thanks for the welcome!
I sent in my ticket and am now just awaiting response.

I know it might be the Microsoft apps, but it seemed like I'd get a faster response through Dropbox first.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks for getting back to me. Feel free to come back and let us know how this works out. 

Cheers! 

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

ducks1899
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Glad this thread is here. Same issue. I will contact Microsoft.

Sanchez
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey guys, our team is looking into this as well, just to see if there’s anything that we can do on our end. I’ll get back to you all here, if I get any news to report.

Have a great weekend :sunglasses:

Sanchez
dropbox.com/support

Chris_Williams
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

When attempting to open older files in drop box on the mobile app the word documents do not open.

All our users are having this issue.

Everyone on our team has the most recnet IOS version/Android and Dropbox updated.

Yet all files older then 2017 we can not open.

We need to be able to access this infromation on the go!

Need more support?