cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Trouble updating Excel files from Android

Issues editing Word documents with Dropbox

megx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi 

I have for ages had the practice of going outdoors and editing word documents stored in dropbox on my phone or tablet with Microsoft Word app

This has always worked like a dream, any changes would be automatically saved with no error messages and synced to all devices.

Now I am getting error messages about "changes made by other user, your file can't be saved"  or "can't upload file" sometimes AFTER I've done a stack of work in that file, so all those edits are lost.  Or the file will open "read only" !

It seems I have to save a new version with a new name every time I open a file on my phone before I can be sure it will do edits without some drama or other.

Dropbox folder on my computer is working perfectly.

This is driving me insane as  I do this work every day, and had no issue til now. 

Any ideas?

64 Replies 64

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution
What's the error message that you're getting?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Can you post exact software version numbers?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Chris_Williams
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

No Error, just has the loading icon. Just keeps spinning. I can open PDF files no problem.

Chris_Williams
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

IOS Version 11.2.5

Android Version Oreo 8.1

Drop Box App IOS 82.2

Drop Box App Android 82.2.2

dbeato
Super User alumni
Go to solution
Are you using the Microsofr Word Application from The appstore or preview?

Chris_Williams
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Using Word application, which is also on most recent version.

IOS Word = 2.10

Android word = January 17, 2018 (most recent update released for android)

Admacdonald
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, am checking to see if there's any resolution on this issue...

Frank_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all,

As Sanchez mentioned, as the problems are occurring from within the Microsoft applications this sounds like an issue on their side. We'd still like to help get this one resolved, so to try and fix sync issues I'm going to ask those affected to try unlinking and relinking their Dropbox account from the Microsoft Office mobile app:

https://help.dropbox.com/desktop-web/microsoft-office-faq#unlink/relink

To unlink a Dropbox account from an Office Mobile app:

1. Open the Office Mobile app.
  2. Tap the folder icon.
  3. From the list of places, tap and hold Dropbox.
  4. Once you've held your finger on Dropbox for a few seconds, a trash can icon will appear in the top right corner of the screen. Tap the trash can to remove Dropbox from the Office Mobile app.

To re-link a Dropbox account to an Office Mobile app:

1. Open the Office Mobile app.
  2. Tap the folder icon.
  3. Tap Add a place.
  4. Tap Dropbox.
  5. Tap Allow next to the Dropbox account listed (if you're already signed in to the Dropbox app). Or, to link a new Dropbox account, tap Use a different account. You'll be directed to a browser window where you can enter the credentials for the Dropbox account you'd like to connect.

Let me know if this helps to resolve any issues with syncing files to Dropbox from within the Microsoft Office app!

Frank

SandersKev
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
My appologies for the late answer here. I have just downloaded the latest update to Excel as it appeared in the playstore and at a first glance, the problems appear to have gone away. Now let's hope they do indeed stay away

KitchenMagic
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Sanders, were you having the same issue on Android and an update in the playstore fixed it?

The last update on the appstore of iOS was 2 weeks ago, hoping a fix turns out soon!
Need more support?