cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues editing Word documents with Dropbox

Issues editing Word documents with Dropbox

megx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi 

I have for ages had the practice of going outdoors and editing word documents stored in dropbox on my phone or tablet with Microsoft Word app

This has always worked like a dream, any changes would be automatically saved with no error messages and synced to all devices.

Now I am getting error messages about "changes made by other user, your file can't be saved"  or "can't upload file" sometimes AFTER I've done a stack of work in that file, so all those edits are lost.  Or the file will open "read only" !

It seems I have to save a new version with a new name every time I open a file on my phone before I can be sure it will do edits without some drama or other.

Dropbox folder on my computer is working perfectly.

This is driving me insane as  I do this work every day, and had no issue til now. 

Any ideas?

64 Replies 64

Eja99
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Thanks @Frank_S. I’ve tried this a couple of times and I still have the issue of any changesI make to offline files not being uploaded to dropbox. I still have to save a new copy each time if I want my changes to sync. 

KitchenMagic
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same issue here, though it does it to me whether I am online or offline. Hopefully they fix it soon. 

Eja99
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I just tried while connected online and got the error so I’m in the same boat.

SandersKev
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
I was having this issue with excel on android and a google playstore update of excel appears to have fixed it. Perhaps I would've had a similar issue using word, but I don't use mobile word so I couldn't quite tell

Rory1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I’m running iOS 11.2.5 and I’m having a similar issue. Whenever I open a file in drop box an try to edit it in word, after a few minutes the banner error message comes up “can’t upload - something’s wrong and your changes can’t be uploaded. This is happening right now as I’m currently working on a document

Frank_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi all,

Thanks for the responses, from what I can gather this is now only occurring from within the Office for iPad App, would that be correct? Based on what @SandersKev said about the issue being fixed for him by an update to Office for Android, this sounds like a problem on Microsoft's side, that they have fixed for one OS. 

Unfortunately there's not a lot we can do to troubleshoot errors outside of our own applications or website; my recommendation here would be to follow up directly with Microsoft support. 

Thanks!

Frank

Eja99
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Here’s the not incredibly helpful response I got from microsoft. I’m going to see if I can push them a bit more:

“Since Dropbox is a third-party app, can’t say anything about the sync process. Please make sure you have the latest version of Word app for iOS and Dropbox app. Check if there’re any update available for iOS.
When searching I came across a thread created in Dropbox forum and I noticed, you are involved in this thread: trouble editing word documents with Dropbox App
Disclaimer: Microsoft provides no assurances and/or warranties, implied or otherwise, and is not responsible for the information you receive from the third-party linked sites or any support related to technology
Meanwhile, if the error continues, try using OneDrive app to sync files.“

SandersKev
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Quite unfortunately, it seems I might have been cheering too soon. The issue now re-occurs and seems to have appeared o be resolved for only 2 days or 3-4 uses of the file

Frank_S
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hi @SandersKev,

Thanks for getting back with that info - sounds like we'll need to investigate this from our side and chase up with Microsoft directly if required. 

In order to help us gather as much information as possible, can those of you who are affected by this open a ticket with our support team and include the following information:

• What OS and version number you are running
  • What version of Office for Android, iPhone or iPad you are running
  • Version of the Dropbox mobile application that is running on your device (if any)
  • Screenshot of the error message you are receiving when trying to save/sync files

Once the ticket is created, please post the ticket number as a reply to this thread and I'll pick them up and follow up with the investigation. Thanks in advance!

Frank

fi6jsp
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hmm, I have same problem with Android tab, BUT... when I try another app, what open .xlsx files everything worked well, so I think problem is Microsoft Excel itself.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

GloriP Helpful | Level 5
    MickeNy Explorer | Level 4
    megx New member | Level 2
    bwoj New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?