cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

List files in folder, keep them online

List files in folder, keep them online

wwsande
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I want to see the files that exist in a folder, but I want to keep them only online.

Details: 

* WIN-10, running a non-admin Dropbox account (office policy).

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@wwsande wrote:

So I tried to install Dropbox skipping the authentication as admin ... how can I use Dropbox in this situation, showing all files in a folder, but setting some to be stored online only.

You likely won't be able to. In order for Dropbox to add the context menu items, it needs admin access during installation. If you skipped that, there's no way for the context menu items to be added to the system, and without them, there's no way to control the online/offline status of a file.

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@wwsande wrote:

I want to see the files that exist in a folder, but I want to keep them only online.

wwsande
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks for the answer, Rich. I do it in my personal computer. But, when using my office computer, when I choose the folders I want to sync locally, all the files of the selected folders are downloaded, and this option doesn't appear to me when I right click the file. I think it's because I'm not allowed to run Dropbox in admin mode in my computer (office IT policies).

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@wwsande wrote:

But, when using my office computer, when I choose the folders I want to sync locally, all the files of the selected folders are downloaded, and this option doesn't appear to me when I right click the file.

You don't need to run Dropbox as an admin. Dropbox will prompt for admin credentials if needed, typically during installation, but after that Dropbox will run fine without being run as an admin.

Are you part of a Business team? If so, your team admin may not have enabled the feature for the team. Do you have any of the Dropbox options available when you right-click a file or folder? Can you show a screenshot of your context (right-click) menu?

wwsande
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'm not part of a "business team". Officially, we're not allowed to install any software here, we'd need admin login to install anything. And Dropbox is not the software officially used to manage cloud/local storage. The "problem" is that I'm a long term Dropbox user, I have a huge ammount of data stored, and don't want to use other softwares to do the same task.

So I tried to install Dropbox skipping the authentication as admin, but when I choose the folders synced locally, the files are all downloaded, and there's no option in the context menu that allows me to say that one file should be stored only online. I use Dropbox in other computers, with admin privilege, and the option appears.

So, my question is basically how can I use Dropbox in this situation, showing all files in a folder, but setting some to be stored online only.

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@wwsande wrote:

So I tried to install Dropbox skipping the authentication as admin ... how can I use Dropbox in this situation, showing all files in a folder, but setting some to be stored online only.

You likely won't be able to. In order for Dropbox to add the context menu items, it needs admin access during installation. If you skipped that, there's no way for the context menu items to be added to the system, and without them, there's no way to control the online/offline status of a file.

wwsande
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Sad... Thank you for all the replies.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

wwsande Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?