cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Dropbox Desktop App no longer available?

Why is the Dropbox Desktop App no longer available?

thecandidate
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The dropbox desktop app had such a great user interface and was a good workflow for our team.. unfortunately as of 17 Jan 2022, it has been dropped.. I wonder why this change was made, and i'm just hoping the application is being improved instead of being killed.

What we enjoyed out of the desktop app was the ability to pin specific files to the main dropbox for quick access, which everyone was able to identify quickly. with the Finder app, it was hard to see pinned items, and with the website, its a redundant process – requiring lots of extra steps – having to open up the website to identify the folder before pinning them. the website does not give as much visual cues as the desktop app previously had. 

Please, dropbox, #bringitback! 

84 Replies 84

CarleySue22
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I AGREE!!! THIS IS HORRIBLE!!!! The original app was so helpful and now everything is opening up in FINDER and its a MESS! 

CarleySue22
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

This is horrible. We need the application to be separate from all our files. Its causing a lot of issues. 

JayBe13
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I was going to ask why my desktop app was not working. I am GLAD I found this post. I was about to upgrade to to Advanced Business for a Business I am starting. I really liked the Desktop App but with out it not getting a business acct..  Google Workspace here I come.

SaraMu1217
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I want the desktop app back. I loved that in the app I could open my files to Illustrator/Photoshop... now projects are taking me twice as long because I have to find the folder, nothing is in the same order, it takes longer to open it in a program. This was a horrible move on their part and has me considering something else. My work flow for today has been horrendous trying to navigate folders. I really hope they rework the desktop app and bring it back. The Finder on Mac process is not working for me, and is costing me time, which is impact my end clients. Fix it Dropbox. 

mercy_gt
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

SO inconvenient. I've been fielding this question from within my team since yesterday.

We use the app for starring, pinning, commenting on specific images or files with caption notes, @ each other to get quick responses. 

we're all working from home again during the omicron spike (we are in healthcare, supporting major hospitals and aged care homes) so the loss of functionality is a major disruption, at the worst possible time. 

I am aware the move was made because some users found the dual existence of program files/finder AND the app to be too confusing, so is there perhaps a way to bring back the app as an optional item (like, in preferences 'show the app' or 'don't show the app' ) so it's not a default for those who get confused easily but its available for those end users who DON'T find it confusing and actually require it (and require the extra functionality that made dropbox worth paying for) ??

mafiaturtle69
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Your response sounds like a bot. Are you a bot? If not please respond to the question instead of skirting around it and giving bot like generated responses. Will you reinstate this feature that we so obviously like and need?

Cendrid
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Refund, Refund!

BC15
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I'd like to open my Dropbox like this▶▶db1.png

but my pc only opens this regular folder▼▼... What should i do..??  Thank you in advance!!!

db2.png

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

There is no way to now do this - Dropbox depreciated that window on the 17th of Jan. 

You now need to use the Dropbox website. 

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

HannesF
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I agree that the Desktop was redundant in some ways, but some functions were really usefull, as described above.

I specifically liked the abilty to use the great search function in Desktop, and then to be taken to a specific file in Win Explorer - big loss.
Unfortunately, it seems syptomatic of DropBox's somewhat erratic progresses: introduce something half-heartedly, let it barely survive for a while, then make it disappear. Paper is another example: I started to look into it, but it fail to see the real benefits. Same for Passwords: Could be great but lacks commitment...
I appreciate Dropbox focussing on what they're good at: Cloud. But it may make sense to work on some cloud-boosting features.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    NBAlex Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    Kim12 New member | Level 2
    PaigeHoffman2011 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?