cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is the Dropbox Desktop App no longer available?

Why is the Dropbox Desktop App no longer available?

thecandidate
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

The dropbox desktop app had such a great user interface and was a good workflow for our team.. unfortunately as of 17 Jan 2022, it has been dropped.. I wonder why this change was made, and i'm just hoping the application is being improved instead of being killed.

What we enjoyed out of the desktop app was the ability to pin specific files to the main dropbox for quick access, which everyone was able to identify quickly. with the Finder app, it was hard to see pinned items, and with the website, its a redundant process – requiring lots of extra steps – having to open up the website to identify the folder before pinning them. the website does not give as much visual cues as the desktop app previously had. 

Please, dropbox, #bringitback! 

84 Replies 84

slvs
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

the Dropbox APP, definitely helped us stay organized and work more efficiently. Now it's just a really bad joke.

DoingTimeOnTheMoon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I can't open my desktop app. 

Clicking on the Dropbox icon opens the local Dropbox folder, rather than the app. 

I've uninstalled and reinstalled the app to no avail.

My only access to preferences, settings, etc is by clicking on the active Dropbox icon in the lower right tray. But still no access to the app itself.

I followed the thread of another user having the same trouble. Didn't resolve for him either. That thread ended by transferring discussion over to email, so no posted remedy.

I'm using Windows 10.

Any help in gaining access to my app would be appreciated!

Not applicable
Go to solution

I think the problem maybe was some users didnt know that the desktop app was available in the format in preferences as below.. i know this because other Dropbox users in our office didnt know how to set if to show this on their PC.

when i explained how to show it, they said that it was great..

Guys i think we are going around in circles with this.. and it not looking good for coming back.. the website is C##p , and im getting sick of pop-up email from Dropbox about post.. time to cancel the community email notifications.. 

Euny73_0-1643192906228.png

HannesF
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Funny now to see this page from 2019: https://blog.dropbox.com/topics/product-tips/new-desktop-app

Goat3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Since this took place I also do not get any comment notifications ... its an issue, and my colleague who has a paid account has the same issue on mac. 

Goat3
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

And not getting notifications anymore - using mac 

BC15
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thank you for your help!!

Zeb72
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Yes we agree 100%. This change has killed the flow. 

jrhodes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When will the desktop app become available again?

jrhodes
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Walter,

Given that Dropbox recognizes it has impacted the way we work, when can we expect to have the desktop app back?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Walter Dropbox Staff
    NBAlex Helpful | Level 5
    Rich Super User II
    Kim12 New member | Level 2
    PaigeHoffman2011 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?