cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"remove "_i.fdt" files from everyone's dropbox and devices"

"remove "_i.fdt" files from everyone's dropbox and devices"

j2z
Helpful | Level 5

This alert popped up without provocation.

I've not seen before. I selected cancel.

What does the message indicate? 

Is there a security issue? 

9 Replies 9

Rich
Super User II

@j2z wrote:

What does the message indicate? 

You or some process on your computer deleted a file in your Dropbox folder. Dropbox is (basically) asking you to confirm the deletion because if the file is deleted, it will be deleted from your Dropbox account and any other devices you sync with, including those belonging to other people if the file is located in a shared folder.

It's a badly worded message that makes people think the file will be deleted everywhere, not just within the Dropbox folder. If you intended to delete the file, just say Yes next time.

j2z
Helpful | Level 5

Thank you for the reply. 

I'm sorry I did not clearly state the issue.

I DID NOT initiate any deletions from my dropbox.

I am the only user. 

This message appeared independent from anything I did.

My concern is regarding any security issues.

And what exactly is a i.fdt file?

Rich
Super User II

@j2z wrote:

I DID NOT initiate any deletions from my dropbox.

YOU may not have, but something on your computer did. Applications you use create and delete files all the time. If you're using an application with files in your Dropbox, and that application creates others files while its in use, you may see messages like this one when the application deletes the files.

And what exactly is a i.fdt file?

No one here can answer that. It will be some type of file used by an application on your computer. Perhaps a temporary file. Look up the FDT file extension on Google and see what applications use it. See if any match what you use.

j2z
Helpful | Level 5
Thanks. That is useful info.
Much appreciated.

coveryourassets
New member | Level 2

A search on the extension *.fdt gives multiple hits that it is a Final Draft file used in video editing. There are other programs mentioned here: https://fileinfo.com/extension/fdt

I don't use video editing and haven't added any of these types of content to Dropbox folders on my PC. Also, I have not installed any new programs.

I would like more clarification than just "a program on your computer is deleting these files."

I searched Dropbox on my machine and all of of my machine's drives and no FDT files appear. So, something is adding these files to my Dropbox and then deleting them. At this time, only Dropbox can be doing it.

This problem occurred shortly after the date that the original user posted it. If your error messages would provide the path of the file, that might be more helpful.

But the current answer is not sufficient or confidence inspiring.

Thank you.

Rich
Super User II

@coveryourassets wrote:

So, something is adding these files to my Dropbox and then deleting them. At this time, only Dropbox can be doing it.

Dropbox doesn't add files on its own. It's simply not capable of doing that. If a file is appearing within your Dropbox folder and you personally didn't put it there, then some other process on your computer or on another computer linked to your account is doing it.

Dawg1990
New member | Level 2

I am experiencing the same problem. I am getting a pop-up asking if I want to remove _i.fdt files from everyone's Dropbox and devices each time I get on my computer. I do not know what these files are or how the delete is being initiated but (based on the extensions) they may be related to built-in search indexing in Quickbooks. I've turned off these automatic updates per below. Hopefully that will resolve the issue.

1. Go to the Edit menu and choose Preferences.
  2. Select Search, then Company Preferences.
  3. Uncheck Update Automatically.
  4. Click OK."

coveryourassets
New member | Level 2

Good research, Dawg. They seem to be coming from "company_filename.QBW.SearchIndex" in the company file folder. Not sure why these files have suddenly become an issue.

In addition to your solution, I discovered that I can click the "Don't ask me this again" box in the warning dialog box that appears, and the messages will stop WITHOUT stopping the warning messages for other files that I delete.

It would be helpful if Dropbox support explained why making that selection doesn't affect deletion of other files. Is it file type, extension, ...?

Thank you for posting your solution.

coveryourassets
New member | Level 2

Follow up for QuickBooks Desktop users in case they have not heard. It is not good to run QuickBooks when the file is on Dropbox if you have multiple users on multiple machines or even as a single user on two different machines.

While the file is updated multiple times throughout the day, it is not updated on Dropbox in real time, like it would be on an in-house Server or Peer-to-Peer network. There are services that allow this capability: QuickBooks offers a hosting service, Rightworks/Right Networks does, and Qbox is probably the simplest and cheapest approach. However, QBox is designed more like 'checking out' a file while locking out the other user. It is more appropriate for a bookkeeper who needs to work on a customer's books without having to exchange backups, portables, or accountant copies of files.

I hope this is helpful.

Edit by Moderator: Emphasis added as these points cannot be stressed enough. Storing your QuickBooks file in Dropbox and trying to use it without verifying that a) no one else has it open, and b) the file has finished syncing, WILL result in data loss. This is true for any database type file stored in Dropbox, and not just QuickBooks.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

coveryourassets New member | Level 2
    Dawg1990 New member | Level 2
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?