cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access denied using shared files with password

Access denied using shared files with password

bookerlol
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I'm given a shared folder with the shared link information. Bare in mind, this folder is also public for anyone to view. I am specifically trying to see if shared link method works. I am also using Dropbox API v2.

Through the GUI I entered the shared link password, gained access to the shared folder, accessed the shared files, and downloaded them. I also don't need an account to do this.

However, when using the API /get_shared_link_metadata and /get_shared_link_file I get the "access_denied" for both API calls.

url, path, link_password are all correct and I made sure of it.

I even tested different parameter values just to make sure.

I also tried to programmatically implement it but get the same issue.

Is this perhaps due to a permissions settings on the person sharing the folder/files?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are you using an API app registered with the "app folder" access type? There's currently a bug that results in this error when using this method with an access token for an app folder app. That's still open with engineering, but I don't have a timeline on a fix.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Are you using an API app registered with the "app folder" access type? There's currently a bug that results in this error when using this method with an access token for an app folder app. That's still open with engineering, but I don't have a timeline on a fix.

bookerlol
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Ah yeah that's why. I will do a workaround this bug. Thank you Greg for the response!  

Hasan4
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Abid
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hasan4 New member | Level 2
    bookerlol Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?