cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox root folder path variants home and work

Dropbox root folder path variants home and work

Takashi Homma
Explorer | Level 4

I found Dropbox's web interface has two types of folders at the root level: 'home' and 'work'.

What is the difference between these?

Can I use any API to determine which folder is being used?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Takashi Homma Thanks for the context. The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way of constructing those non-shared web site URLs, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Takashi Homma wrote:

Can I use any API to determine which folder is being used?

You (or your app user) can use any folder that the user has access to, so "which folder is being used" - not clear what you're asking for actually. If you want to know the types of folders (or namespaces) you can use /2/team/namespaces/list.

Good luck.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Takashi Homma It sounds like you're referring to the /home and /work routes on the Dropbox web site. The Dropbox API doesn't use those; for information on interacting with different files/folders on the Dropbox API, I recommend reading the File Access Guide and Team Files Guide.

Takashi Homma
Explorer | Level 4

Ah, yes I meant a root part of URL path. And I want to make a link to uploaded files.

https://www.dropbox.com/home/foo/bar.txt
https://www.dropbox.com/work/foo/bar.txt

I understand that it is recommended to create a shared link when making a link pointer to a file. However, I want to avoid this because creating shared links generates tons of noise in the activity log and external sharing log.

This is a difficult problem.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@Takashi Homma Thanks for the context. The Dropbox API doesn't offer a way of constructing those non-shared web site URLs, but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

Takashi Homma
Explorer | Level 4

Thank you!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Takashi Homma Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?