cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dropbox webhooks for scoped app are not working properly

Dropbox webhooks for scoped app are not working properly

peyo
Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

Does anybody know why dropbox webhooks work only after I click Generate access token button ?

peyo_0-1654750577149.png

I have configured a webhook which is successfully verified by Dropbox. I have files.metadata.read permissions checked. However when I create new folder or upload a file in my Dropbox account the webhook is not working if I don't explicitly click the GENERATE access token button only one time. And I'm even not using the access token after generating it. And then suddenly everything start to work as expected. Webhooks start to work when I create new folder or upload a file.
Any idea ? I can't find this in the documentation ?

6 Replies 6

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

This is the expected behavior. Webhook notifications are only sent for changes that occur in accounts that are connected to the app. Generating an access token for the app on your account the first time connects the app to your account. Likewise, you can use the OAuth app authorization flow to have arbitrary end-users connect their own accounts to your app.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@peyo, in addition to what Greg said, when you only need to link your own account to the application, generating refresh token will work in the same way as long lived access token did before. Take a look here how you can get to a refresh token. 😉 You don't need to use it, just don't revoke it.

Hope this helps.

peyo
Explorer | Level 4

Ok, but please include it in the webhooks documentation and tutorial because I've lost 4-5 hours until I found that.
Check this out:

https://www.dropbox.com/developers/reference/webhooks#documentation

Nothing of what you posted here is mentioned in the docs.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Webhooks Overview

With webhooks, your web app can be notified when your users' files change, rather than requiring your app to frequently poll Dropbox for changes. Every time a user's files change, the webhook URI you specify will be sent an HTTP request telling it about the changes. ...

@peyo, 🤔 What are your users? What file change are you expecting to be noted without users (even one)? There is no valid association without valid token of any kind (actually no user in this case). 😉 Read more carefully!

Hope this clarifies matter.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@peyo Thanks for the feedback!

peyo
Explorer | Level 4

Здравко, I am the user. I've configured webhook for my account. I don't care about other users. I think that it is clear enough for everybody that you have to update the documentation.

If someone follows the tutorial (like me). Then their webhooks won't trigger.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

peyo Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?