cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
We want to hear from you. What do you use Dropbox for?
Close

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

How can I get the Owner name of a file that is shared with me using file id or preview url

Explorer | Level 3

How can I get the Owner name or email of a file that is shared with me using file id or file preview url.

I am using .Net SDK.

Thanks

3 Replies 3
Highlighted

Re: How can I get the Owner name of a file that is shared with me using file id or preview url

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

This depends on what kind of sharing you're referring to.

If the file is in a shared folder that you are a member of, you can use the ListFolderMembersAsync and ListFolderMembersContinueAsync methods to get the list of members, and check which one is the owner.

If the file has been individually shared with you, you can use GetFileMetadataAsync to get the metadata for the shared file, including the OwnerDisplayNames if available.

If you have a shared link for a file, you can use GetSharedLinkMetadataAsync to get the metadata for the shared link, including TeamMemberInfo, if the links owner's is a member of the same team.

Highlighted

Re: How can I get the Owner name of a file that is shared with me using file id or preview url

Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

Thanks for quick response.

In my case  file has been individually shared with me,

when I am trying to get the metadata of the file using  GetFileMetadataAsync and file id as a parameter to get the metadata of the shared file why OwnerDisplayNames is null?

Code :

var FileMetaData = await dc_Member.Sharing.GetFileMetadataAsync(SharedFile.Id);

Highlighted

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Unfortunately, the OwnerDisplayNames value can't always be fetched, though I don't have more specific information to share on when/why that is the case. I'll send this along to the team to ask to get this better documented though.

Work Smarter with Dropbox

The way we work is changing. Share and discover new ways to work smarter with Dropbox in our community.

Sound good? Let's get started.
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

What do Dropbox user levels mean?
Need more support?