cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: OAuth Updates for an App for just One Single User (Developer is only user) required ?

OAuth Updates for an App for just One Single User (Developer is only user) required ?

martinkleinaustria
Explorer | Level 4

I received a mail from Dropbox announcing the Oauth updates by Sept 2021.

I have a very simple Single Page Java Script application - which runs in the browser not in node - and I use the Dropbox-sdk.js.

I am and will be the only user of this application.

It just does a 

var dbxt = new Dropbox.Dropbox({ accessToken: "xxxxxxxxxxx" });

Where xxxxxxxxx is the Generated Access-Token from the App Console.

Then I use the returned object for a download

dbxt.filesDownload({
	path: '/BookLibrary.xml'
})

Thats it.

Do I have to change anything by Sept 2021 due to the changes with OAuth ?
If yes - Could you please provide an example for my simple case.
The "download" example that is provided in the Javascript SDK by today still works with a generated access-token so I guess I don't have to change anything.

Many thanks

Martin Klein

12 Replies 12

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Short-lived access tokens only last for a few hours, so if you need long-term access, you'd also need to plug in a refresh token. The refresh token can be used to get new short-lived access tokens on demand, without further manual interaction. The App Console doesn't offer the ability to get refresh tokens though, so you'd need to process the OAuth flow (which you can do manually just once if that's all you need) to get the refresh token.

martinkleinaustria
Explorer | Level 4

Ok. Can you please point me to or provide me an example for a MANUAL OAuth flow that would provide me a refresh Token.

Many thanks and kind regards

Martin Klein

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

You can find examples in the authorization documentation, such as how the authorization URL should be formed for /oauth2/authorize, as well as how calls to /oauth2/token would be made using curl.

Need more support?