cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Discuss Dropbox Developer & API

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ServerException on createSharedLinkWithSettings()

ServerException on createSharedLinkWithSettings()

MarcoNL
Explorer | Level 3

Hi.

I am using the DropBox Core Java SDK from my Java application (v3.1.0 JARs).

In particular, I am uploading a certain number of small files (around 200 files, around 200 KB each), and for each file I am invoking the following code to get a public URL to the file:

============

DbxRequestConfig reqConfig = new DbxRequestConfig(CLIENT_IDENTIFIER);
DbxClientV2 client = new DbxClientV2(reqConfig, myAccessToken);
SharedLinkMetadata sharedLinkData = client.sharing().createSharedLinkWithSettings(pathInDropbox);
String shareablePreviewURL = sharedLinkData.getUrl();

============

For most files in my set, everything works fine. Just for 2/3 files out of 200, it is raising the following exception:

=============

com.dropbox.core.ServerException
at com.dropbox.core.DbxRequestUtil.unexpectedStatus(DbxRequestUtil.java:382)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2$1.execute(DbxRawClientV2.java:154)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.executeRetriable(DbxRawClientV2.java:330)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.executeRetriableWithRefresh(DbxRawClientV2.java:351)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.DbxRawClientV2.rpcStyle(DbxRawClientV2.java:137)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.sharing.DbxUserSharingRequests.createSharedLinkWithSettings(DbxUserSharingRequests.java:465)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.sharing.DbxUserSharingRequests.createSharedLinkWithSettings(DbxUserSharingRequests.java:495)

[...]

=============

If I apply a "retry" policy in my application code, then calling again the createSharedLinkWithSettings() will result in the following exception:

=============

com.dropbox.core.v2.sharing.CreateSharedLinkWithSettingsErrorException: Exception in 2/sharing/create_shared_link_with_settings: {".tag":"shared_link_already_exists","shared_link_already_exists":{".tag":"metadata","metadata":{".tag":"file","url":"https://www.dropbox.com/s/j4hrqwqlqb331d4/00000107.dcm?dl=0","name":"00000107.dcm","link_permissions..."}}}
at com.dropbox.core.v2.sharing.DbxUserSharingRequests.createSharedLinkWithSettings(DbxUserSharingRequests.java:474)
at com.dropbox.core.v2.sharing.DbxUserSharingRequests.createSharedLinkWithSettings(DbxUserSharingRequests.java:495)

[...]

=============

So, for a given file, the first call to createSharedLinkWithSettings() sometimes raises a ServerException, but then if retry again with the same Dropbox file it complains that "shared_link_already_exists".

What is happening? Please notice that the same application code has been working flawlessly for the last 12 months or more.

Also, please notice that the exception only happens for 2/3 files out of a set of 200 files.

Can you guess why these exception are happening in the last few days?

Thanks in advance and best regards,

Marco Sambin

10 Replies 10

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Can you try again now? Thanks again!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    MarcoNL Explorer | Level 3
    TaylorKrusen Dropbox Staff