cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API Token Expired

API Token Expired

ToniValac
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

I am creating an App to automatically backup some files on my servers to Dropbox. Unfortuntely I can't see the button shown in this docu https://developers.dropbox.com/de-de/oauth-guide to set the expiration, so I can only get sl tokens that expire after a day.

How can I get long lived tokens for my app?

Regards,

Michael

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Dropbox is no longer offering the option for creating new long-lived access tokens, so that "Access token expiration" setting is no longer available. Dropbox is switching to only issuing short-lived access tokens (and optional refresh tokens) instead of long-lived access tokens. You can find more information on this migration here.

Apps can still get long-term access by requesting "offline" access though, in which case the app receives a "refresh token" that can be used to retrieve new short-lived access tokens as needed, without further manual user intervention. You can find more information in the OAuth Guide and authorization documentation. There's a basic outline of processing this flow in this blog post which may serve as a useful example.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Dropbox is no longer offering the option for creating new long-lived access tokens, so that "Access token expiration" setting is no longer available. Dropbox is switching to only issuing short-lived access tokens (and optional refresh tokens) instead of long-lived access tokens. You can find more information on this migration here.

Apps can still get long-term access by requesting "offline" access though, in which case the app receives a "refresh token" that can be used to retrieve new short-lived access tokens as needed, without further manual user intervention. You can find more information in the OAuth Guide and authorization documentation. There's a basic outline of processing this flow in this blog post which may serve as a useful example.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?