cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API access token expired

API access token expired

Emron
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,

i am using some of the http api endpoints to upload or download files. As i saw in the documentation the API access tokens never expire but can only be revoked. For some reason after i use my token for a day or so i get the message "expired_access_token". Then i need to create a new one. Of course i never revoked it manually or from the api.

I have another account where there i don't have any issue. My token is still working after many months. I followed the same process to create both of them but still they are different. The token for my old account is 64 characters long but the new one is 139 and always starts with "sl.".

Am i doing something wrong? Did anything change on how Dropbox is producing access tokens? Thanks in advance for any help.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Based on your description, it sounds like you're getting the access token from the "API v2 Explorer". That tool is just meant for prototyping Dropbox API calls, and currently has early access to an upcoming "short-lived access token" feature. That means that, unlike standard Dropbox API access tokens, the access tokens you get from the API Explorer will expire by themselves. (You can identify them by the "sl." prefix you mentioned.)

To get standard Dropbox API access tokens, you should use your own API app registration. For instance, you can use the "Generate" button on your app's page on the App Console, or use the OAuth app authorization flow with your app.

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Based on your description, it sounds like you're getting the access token from the "API v2 Explorer". That tool is just meant for prototyping Dropbox API calls, and currently has early access to an upcoming "short-lived access token" feature. That means that, unlike standard Dropbox API access tokens, the access tokens you get from the API Explorer will expire by themselves. (You can identify them by the "sl." prefix you mentioned.)

To get standard Dropbox API access tokens, you should use your own API app registration. For instance, you can use the "Generate" button on your app's page on the App Console, or use the OAuth app authorization flow with your app.

Emron
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thank you very much for taking the time to answer. I tested like an hour ago to create my app and generate token for my app and its working as expected. The token generated is shorter and does not have the prefix "sl". Its the same format as the token i created in the past through the API Explorer. It was my fault to use the token from the API explorer for my requests. Anyway, thanks again for your help!

ahmed-sharaf
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
Hello,

I am facing the same problem which has been resulted from generating access token from "Dropbox API Explorer". The access token become longer and starting with "sl.***".

I have unlinked the Dropbox API Explorer from the connected apps and tried to generate from App Console but it is still generating the longer tokens and shows me that the token is short-lived one and will expire 4 hours after generation.

I am not sure where the fault I did else. Could you please help?

winkelement
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm having the same problem.

I never used the "Dropbox API Explorer" but every Token i generate via App Console expires after 4 hours.

ahmed-sharaf
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
@winkelement
You are right. I tried through another new account and it generates short-lived tokens although Dropbox API Explorer has never been used.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@ahmed-sharaf @winkelement Apologies for the confusion! Please refer to my post here for information.

edou123
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Thanks a lot!

SerenityNow
New member | Level 2

I have the same problem and I did use the Generate button in the app console.  Mine also starts with "sl."  I know this is an older question but hopefully someone is monitoring this.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@SerenityNow Dropbox is no longer offering the option for creating new long-lived access tokens. Dropbox is now issuing short-lived access tokens (and optional refresh tokens) instead of long-lived access tokens. You can find more information on this migration here.

Apps can still get long-term access by requesting "offline" access though, in which case the app receives a "refresh token" that can be used to retrieve new short-lived access tokens as needed, without further manual user intervention. Refresh tokens do not expire automatically and can be used repeatedly. You can find more information in the OAuth Guide and authorization documentation. There's a basic outline of processing this flow in this blog post which may serve as a useful example.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    AlexStudio New member | Level 2
    SerenityNow New member | Level 2
    edou123 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?