cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

API to add members to Advanced Plan

API to add members to Advanced Plan

Hen4
Explorer | Level 3

Hi,

I'm considering Dropbox Business with the Advanced Plan for my online data analysis startup. The idea is to use dropbox storage & download as a backend to my online service, not exposing the dropbox UI / apps to my customers.

The recent policy change (23/8) limits the advanced plan to 5TB/"user". My business needs N customers mapped to M dropbox-advanced-plan-user(s) (where M < N) who upload data with file requests which my backend creates programatically (so that a customer does not have access to my dropbox, but is able to upload data there).

For this to work and scale, I need to be able to programatically create users as more customers come in (more data) or delete users when they leave.

The business API has this method:

2/team/members/add_v2

Unfortunately it is not clear to me if this "member" is the same as a "user" as mentioned on the dropbox plan comparison page. 

Can someone explain if I can grow the advanced plan dynamically (getting billed for it, of course) or if these are manual admin actions by clicking through the dropbox console manually?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The /2/team/members/add_v2 endpoint allows you to add a member to your team (creating a new account for them as needed), but only as long as you have a license available on your team. If you have no more licenses available on your team, the call would fail with a 'team_license_limit' error. The Dropbox API does not offer a way to programmatically buy more licenses for your team (that would need to be done manually), but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The /2/team/members/add_v2 endpoint allows you to add a member to your team (creating a new account for them as needed), but only as long as you have a license available on your team. If you have no more licenses available on your team, the call would fail with a 'team_license_limit' error. The Dropbox API does not offer a way to programmatically buy more licenses for your team (that would need to be done manually), but I'll pass this along as a feature request. I can't promise if or when that might be implemented though.

Hen4
Explorer | Level 3

Okay, clear, thank you. Marking as resolved.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hen4 Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?