cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Access to file meta data on drop box

Access to file meta data on drop box

sjyuenger
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have an application that needs to be able to walk through all the files on dropbox to gather the file meta data  related to the files.

I currently accomplish this in Python by walking down the drive/path and reading the file labels for the meta data. the code I use is:

• target = input("Enter the Directory you want, d://dir:=")
    af.write('Scanning Directory:=' + str(target) + '\n')
    while len(target) > 0:
  • for r, d, f in os.walk(target):
    for fi in f:
    qfname = os.path.join(r, fi)
    fil = len(fi)
    fn = fi.rfind('.')
    fidl = fil - fn

I have no need to read the actual file data.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Stephen Yuenger

Independent Consultant

772-418-0150

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @sjyuenger,

This forum targets Dropbox specific things (in this forums part - things related to Dropbox API/SDK). You rather need a Python tutorial and suitable Python package like 'file-metadata' for instance. 😉

Good luck.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

Hi @sjyuenger,

This forum targets Dropbox specific things (in this forums part - things related to Dropbox API/SDK). You rather need a Python tutorial and suitable Python package like 'file-metadata' for instance. 😉

Good luck.

sjyuenger
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I currently am able to capture the meta data from any file system I can mount as a drive, this includes my backup system from Macrium Reflect and other systems.  

Does Drop Box data file structure conform with the Windows definitions?  The reason for doing this within my application is speed.  Right now when I sample > 2,000,000 files I obtain the meta data I need in ~ 150 seconds and subsequently a query for a file from my virtual tables is < 4ms.

I don't expect the same timing from a remote site like Drop Box but my look up speed will not be affected.

I am not asking for language support just file access.

I do thank you for your response but, because I am going to apply for a patent on my application, I wish it to be all self-contained with no responsibility to other developers.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20
Go to solution

@sjyuenger wrote:

I currently am able to capture the meta data from any file system I can mount as a drive, this includes my backup system from Macrium Reflect and other systems.  

Does Drop Box data file structure conform with the Windows definitions? ...

The Dropbox folder is a folder like any other folder! This folder is not a mount point as seems you are thinking! Does the drive/partition filesystem where you place your Dropbox folder (your user folder by default) "confirm with the Windows definitions"?! 🧐😁

If you want to access data directly online then following guides may be helpful:

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@sjyuenger Здравко is correct, you can interact with the Dropbox folder on the local filesystem normally. And this section of the forum is for use of the Dropbox API though, not local filesystems, so I'm afraid I can't offer help with that.

sjyuenger
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Guess I jumped to the wrong interpretation.  An API interface is certainly acceptable thank you

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

sjyuenger Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Здравко Legendary | Level 20
What do Dropbox user levels mean?