cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any plans to add the new Dropbox Comments into the Core API?

Any plans to add the new Dropbox Comments into the Core API?

PIttsburgh Menn
New member | Level 1

In an earlier question I asked shared folders were mentioned as a possible beta item and a signup link was posted for whenever that might happen. Is there anything similar for Dropbox Comments?

21 Replies 21

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

We don't have any plans or a beta list for comments functionality on the API right now, but I'm sending this along as a request.

For some additional context to help us prioritize though, what did you have in mind for it? Thanks!

PIttsburgh Menn
New member | Level 1

The functionality we'd like to see would mainly be whatever comments support now.

The biggest ones would definitely be the ability to retrieve comments on a file through /metadata. We'd want to see which users made what comments.

The ability to create and delete comments.

And the ability to resolve comments.

We're using the Core API to open up Dropbox functionality in our workflow application to clients. We're doing the same thing with Box and finding that its API is significantly more robust. We don't have to worry about them offering GUI functionality without matching API functionality. As a result we're predicting that clients will generally go with Box if they don't already have Dropbox as their file storage provider of choice.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the information! That's very helpful.

Urmas L.
New member | Level 2

API support for comments would be absolutely wonderful. I have been planning to write an app for adding tags to pictures in Dropbox, this comment thing actually might solve most of my problems without major amount of coding.

What i really-really need are the comments with search function, both via API and web. That would pave me the way to creating a good and functional gallery frontend for content hosted in Dropbox. Last time i checked i did not find anything like that.

Steve L.
Helpful | Level 6

I'd definitely like to see Dropbox Comments viewing and posting via the Core API. Even if posting was limited to the file owner.

Shirley K.3
New member | Level 1

I would love to see Comments functionality on the API. Mostly interested in ability to create comments as means of file delivery notification.

Artem R.1
New member | Level 1

Having webhooks for comments would be useful for 3rd party API apps too.

Another important thing for us is to have all non-archived https://www.dropbox.com/s/jze0yjjwvjcwbye/%D0%A1%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B8%D0%BD%D1%88%D0%BE%D1%82%202015-05... comments listed in one place. This is because we use dropbox for collaboration with designers. We assign them tasks right in comments. And move comments into archive when it is done.

Mayank K.3
New member | Level 1

Are there any updates on support for this API? We are interested in using this API. 

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Sorry, no updates on this.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    Alexander P.5 New member | Level 1
    Colin M.17 New member | Level 1
    Johanes S. New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?