cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

App Folders and Business access

App Folders and Business access

BPM_Steve
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I am hoping someone can help with this as I am not getting anywhere and am being past from pillar to post between support desks! Previously I have a variety of 3rd party apps intergrated with my personal dropbox - one being Zapier for example. Since upgrading to Business Zapier and every other 3rd party app can only see my 'personal' files in my dropbox account and not the 'team' files. There doesnt appear to be any setting that allows this access, Zapier blame Dropbox, Dropbox blame Zapier - so hoping that there will be some techies on here that acutally have experience in creating such apps - what needs to happen here? Is this a setting on our dropbox account or is this the way these apps have connected via the API.

Probabably worth mentioning I am an Admin of said Dropbox account.

Any help greatly appreciated. 

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It sounds like you're using the team space and member folders configuration in your Business account. The Dropbox API does offer the ability to access the team space, but the app will need to be written to do so. There's a developer guide that covers how to do that here.

View solution in original post

19 Replies 19

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

It sounds like you're using the team space and member folders configuration in your Business account. The Dropbox API does offer the ability to access the team space, but the app will need to be written to do so. There's a developer guide that covers how to do that here.

BPM_Steve
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Thanks for the quick reply Greg - this is a pain - as it would appear most of the integration apps out there don't support this config. I'm guessing its fairly new? Is there anyway to switch to the old config?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Yes, this is relatively new.

I can't say whether or not it's possible to change the configuration on your team, but you can contact Business support to ask:

https://www.dropbox.com/support/email/business_and_teams/submit

edsnails
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
Did you get anywhere with this BPM_Steve?
I've just upgraded to Dropbox Business and have the same problems. It's awful! 3rd Party apps (except Apple 'Files' app) won't show the business folders. I have tried support from Dropbox and the app and am getting nowhere.
Did you get your account switched to the old config?

BPM_Steve
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
Hi,
No I didn't - it would appear that most of the 3rd parties are using the older file structure. I have to say though the new file structure is a lot better. I did implement a work around however which has worked well for us. I created a complete copy of the Business folders onto the 'personal area' of my dropbox. Then used GoodSync to keep them in sync. You can then setup and apps etc to the personal folder (all works fine) and any changes are quickly synced to the business folders. If that all makes sense.

Drop me a line if you want to talk through the 'solution' in more detail. Always happy to help.

Steve

Roger D.8
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

BPM_Steve-

Mind posting the GoodSync settings that you found successful?  Thank you. 

Matthew G.30
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm running into the same issue with Zapier.  It will only access my personal folder and cannot access the team space.  Other than the Goodsync solution, anyone come up with an app to do this? Anyone want to go in together on a developer who can figure this out?

jandrasko
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Same issue here with PDF Expert -- has anyone found a solution?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

If any particular app isn't supporting access to the "team space", the best solution would be to have the developer of that app update it to do so, so you may wish to contact them to request it. The developer reference for this can be found here, and Dropbox API support is also available to help developers with this.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

KevinAi New member | Level 2
    GB1984 New member | Level 2
    Refined I. New member | Level 2
    sojourner16 New member | Level 2
    ny1979 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?