cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Create folder, Delete and upload APIs in Dropbox iOS SDK gives DBRequestErrorRateLimit error

Create folder, Delete and upload APIs in Dropbox iOS SDK gives DBRequestErrorRateLimit error

nitinmaheshwari
Explorer | Level 3

When I try to upload more than 50 folder and 50 files to dropbox using Dropbox iOS SDK. I frequently get error DBRequestErrorRateLimit, even after retrying failed request after 1 second as suggested in Dropbox documentation, it fails again. Then I retry it again more than 5 times but again it gives DBRequestErrorRateLimit error.

I don't know how to handle it now as deleting more than 20 files in one go(20 delete API requests) also gives same error.

Please let me know how handle such situation? My folder and file count could be is more than 200 than I have to retry the API call for many number of times, this will increase the time to copy files to Dropbox and hence the user experience might not be good.

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

If you check the DBAUTHRateLimitReason, is it isTooManyWriteOperations? That indicates that it's not explicit rate limit, but rather a technical inability to make multiple modifications in an account at the same time. Note that the simultaneous changes can be from either the app itself, or other clients acting on the account. (E.g., the official Dropbox desktop client, another API app, a Dropbox mobile app, etc.)

If it is coming from your own app, you'll just need to avoid making multiple simultaneous modifications like this.

There also some optimizations you can make. For instance, use the batch versions of methods, when available, such as deleteBatch and uploadSessionFinishBatch.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?