cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does Chooser support multiple file selection on Android?

Does Chooser support multiple file selection on Android?

Dave A.5
New member | Level 1

Hi,

My app needs to be able to select multiple files in the Chooser. Is this possible?

I see that it is in the Javascript API ...

9 Replies 9

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

No, the mobile Choosers do not support multiple file selection.

Dave A.5
New member | Level 1

Hi Steve,

Thanks for the quick response!

Can you add that? 🙂

Is there another way? With the Core API?

Thanks,
Dave

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

We're already tracking this as a feature request. (As you noted, it's in the JavaScript version already.)

Yes, you can build your own version of the chooser with the Core API, but users will have to go through the OAuth flow (and you'll need to build the UI yourself).

Dave A.5
New member | Level 1

Can you update the docs to mention this?
And while you're at it can you update the Android Chooser SDK sample to support Android Studio? Its that that easy to convert from the Eclipse version in the SDK...
Thanks!

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

Update the docs in what way? https://www.dropbox.com/developers/dropins/chooser/android is the documentation for the Android Chooser, and I don't think it mentions multiple file selection at all. (In fact, DbxChooser.Result doesn't have any provision for multiple files.)

Over time, we'll be updating all our samples to use Android Studio instead of Eclipse. (This will probably happen the next time we update that SDK.)

Dave A.5
New member | Level 1

Hi Steve,

Perhaps this led me astray:

https://blogs.dropbox.com/developers/2013/04/easily-add-multi-select-and-drag-n-drop-uploads-with-th...

And of course its implied in your docs but not explicit.

Dave

Dave

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

Ah, maybe we should add an update to the blog post to mention that it doesn't apply to the mobile choosers (which were created later).

Ed I.
New member | Level 1

I just subscribed to 1-TB of space. If I'd realized such a simple obvious operation can't be done I doubt I would have signed up! Not only't can't I do this using the Android App, I can't if I use a browser to go to Dropbox, even if I go to the Desktop version of the website. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED! Does anyone know a competing cloud service that's $10 for 1 TB?

Steve M.
Dropbox Staff

Ed, I think you're in the wrong forum. This forum is for developers using the Dropbox API. The Chooser is a component used by software developers to integrate Dropbox into apps that they build.

I think that Product Feedback is probably the most appropriate forum for your question. When you create a post over there, please make sure to explain what it is that you're trying to do and what's going wrong when you try it.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Steve M. Dropbox Staff
    Ed I. New member | Level 1
    Dave A.5 New member | Level 1
What do Dropbox user levels mean?