cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does changing dropbox app permission take effect instantly?

Does changing dropbox app permission take effect instantly?

fa11
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi,

My app has Full App access and I am making a call to 'sharing/ad
d_file_member' using Dropbox core API. After deleting and creating my app with same name while experimenting with App Permissions, I am now getting this error message when accessing this end point. It was working the first time.

( 1. I created an app with 'Full' permission,

2. 'changed it to 'App'; discovered sharing did not  work,

3. changed back to 'Full' and getting this error now):

"statusCode":400,"body":"Error in call to API function \"sharing/ad
d_file_member\": This app is currently disabled."

I also deleted the 'App' folder from my dropbox after step 2. Tried it with a different app name as well but get the same error.

.Are the apps permission updated instantaneoulsy or does it take some time? My app is able to post files in a user's dropbox but not invite another member.

Would really appreciate it if anyone can offer an insight.

Thanks!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Note that it's not possible to change the permission on an app. You can only delete an app and create a different one, as you described.

Also, every access token is tied to one and only one app. In this case, it sounds like you retrieved an access token, and then deleted the app for that access token. At that point, API calls made using that access token will fail. You will need to get a new access token for the new app to make API calls again.

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Note that it's not possible to change the permission on an app. You can only delete an app and create a different one, as you described.

Also, every access token is tied to one and only one app. In this case, it sounds like you retrieved an access token, and then deleted the app for that access token. At that point, API calls made using that access token will fail. You will need to get a new access token for the new app to make API calls again.

fa11
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks for your response! Yes I was doing that but i think there were two issues:

1. I deleted and created app again and again in 5 minutes, changed my account details which had created that app like my username. I think maybe it was all not synced maybe as when i googled it, I found that it could be either due to deleted app or deleted account. The problem went away when I tried after a few hours. 

2. I discovered that I had been using a hard coded expired token somewhere in my code so maybe that token was over-wiritng the valid token. My code was messed up so I cleaned it and that resovled my issue.

Best Regards,

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

fa11 Explorer | Level 3
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?