cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Are you using the Microsoft co-authoring beta for Dropbox? Share your feedback and learn more about it here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download ANY file in folder

Download ANY file in folder

toki4004
Explorer | Level 4

To download a file I need a full path. What if I don't know the name of the file? How would I list that path then to grab any txt file?

"path": "/Homework/math/Prime_Numbers.txt"

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@toki4004, You can search for such files using /2/files/search_v2/continue_v2. Just restrict the search to particular extension and look in filename only with the same string as the extension. In the resulting list you will see all such files with their paths, ids, and revisions (you can use anything of them to download particular file or set of files).

Hope this helps.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@toki4004, You can search for such files using /2/files/search_v2/continue_v2. Just restrict the search to particular extension and look in filename only with the same string as the extension. In the resulting list you will see all such files with their paths, ids, and revisions (you can use anything of them to download particular file or set of files).

Hope this helps.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@toki4004 In addition to the search functionality that Здравко mentioned, you can list all of the contents of any particular folder using /2/files/list_folder[/continue].

For example, if you know a parent folder path, you would set the "path" like "/Homework/math". Or, to list the root, you would supply the "path" as the empty string "".

toki4004
Explorer | Level 4

@Greg-DB 

I can list contents of a folder with an open path but I can't download a file with just the folder name in the path, correct? If I try that, I get errors... 

I am trying to stay away form list -> then download, because I'd have to make 2 trips to DB - performance-wise that would not be ideal. 

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@toki4004, The access point /2/files/download can download file only. If you want to download a folder together with entire content, there is another access point /2/files/download_zip that downloads pointed folder in zipped form. 😉

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

@toki4004 To download a specific file, you can use /2/files/download and specify the full path of the file you want, including any parent folder names, like "/Homework/math/Prime_Numbers.txt".

To download a whole folder, you can use /2/files/download_zip and specify the name of the folder, like "/Homework/math" or "/Homework".

toki4004
Explorer | Level 4

If I use "search" - what would I put for "query"? I don't know the file name - I only know the extension so I'll put that under options =>file_extensions

But query is required...

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

@Здравко wrote:

... You can search for such files using /2/files/search_v2/continue_v2. Just restrict the search to particular extension and look in filename only with the same string as the extension. ...

@toki4004 wrote:

If I use "search" - what would I put for "query"? I don't know the file name - I only know the extension so I'll put that under options =>file_extensions

But query is required...

Hm..🤔 What's the name of that parameter where you denote what you're looking for (either from file content or its name)? In the particular case we need to direct Dropbox to search in filename only... Ohh...yes. 😀 That was the "query"! 🤫

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    toki4004 Explorer | Level 4
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?