cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Download speed

Download speed

AngeloMega
New member | Level 2

We are facing difficulties with Dropbox Download API speed. It´s very slow compared to other APIs, like Onedrive and Google drive.

For example, the same file that takes about 6 seconds to download with Google, using Dropbox it takes 2 minutes.

Is anyone having the same issue?

7 Replies 7

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I'm not aware of any current disruption to Dropbox API connections. Your connection speed to Dropbox depends on the routing you get between your ISP and our servers, and may be slower than your ISP's rated speeds. That route may also be different than that to other providers.

Sometimes resetting or retrying your connection gets you a different route and better speeds, but that is outside of our control. Some ISPs also throttle sustained connections so if you see an initial high connection speed followed by lower speeds, that could be the reason.

AngeloMega
New member | Level 2

Hi, thanks for the reply.

We are facing this issue in our office as well in VMs created in Oracle Cloud, wich has a super high connection speed. Some of our costumers are reporting this difficulty too.

Is there any other action that can be done in order to solve this problem?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

No, the Dropbox API itself doesn't offer any way to control your connection speed.

To clarify though, is this something you've just noticed as you've begun implementing with the Dropbox API, or is this a new degradation in service where it was previously working better?

If this was previously running faster for you and it seems to be a new issue, you can open an API ticket if you'd like us to try to check on this for you specifically.

AngeloMega
New member | Level 2

Thank's.

Open the ticket.

How do I track the ticket?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

You'll receive updates to your ticket by email. They will be sent to the email address registered to the Dropbox account you used to open the ticket.

AngeloMega
New member | Level 2

Is it possible to add the <redacted> e-mail to be sent a copy to another recipient?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I've redacted it from your comment here for the sake of privacy, but yes, I've added it to your ticket.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    AngeloMega New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?