cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results forĀ 
ShowĀ Ā onlyĀ  | Search instead forĀ 
Did you mean:Ā 

Dropbox /1/team/log/get_events is giving events except category "files"

Dropbox /1/team/log/get_events is giving events except category "files"

Sophia S.3
New member | Level 1

Before V1 deprecated API user to give information about all the categories. After it is deprecated I am not able see events for files category. Please provide more information about the same. Is the API /1/team/log/get_events call restricted to provide events on files or some bug is stopping me to get information about files.

My request does not has any category filter.

request body:

{
"start_ts" : 1469603296000
}

Thanks,

Murali

13 Replies 13

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Hi Murali, the deprecation was only an announcement, and didn't itself involve any functionality change. I'll be happy to look into this to see if you're hitting some bug though.

I just tried this myself and I am seeing events being returned by that endpoint with "event_category": "files" though.

Note that per the documentation these events are only returned for 'Sign in as' sessions. Is it possible that there just haven't been any such events in those sessions for the team you're looking at within the time range you're specifying? 

vinodc
Explorer | Level 3

The recent AdminX announcement appears to introduce audit events for regular file activity and not just activity during 'Sign in as' sessions. Would this data be made available via the API endpoint as well?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

I can't make any promises as to if/when that would be exposed via the API, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request. 

Sophia S.3
New member | Level 1

Hi Gregory,

Thanks, Today I tried it again and worked fine. I am seeing events for files as well.

Surprisingly It is the same user token I had other day and also it is same request that i had saved, and it worked today.

Just wanted to confirm what is 'Sign in as' sessions?

Does that mean if I am doing API call should the user be signed in?

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The "Sign in as" feature if the ability of Dropbox Business team admins to sign in as members of their team:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/9185

Sophia S.3
New member | Level 1

Hi Gregory,

https://www.dropbox.com/developers-v1/business/docs#log-get-events

In the documentation i see that 'sign in as' has been removed, Does this confirms that I can get all the events now and without any limits like 'sign in as' sessions.

Thanks,

Murali

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Yes, this feature has been expanded beyond "sign in as sessions" to reflect normal user file events as well.

Sophia S.3
New member | Level 1

Thanks Gregory, While I was playing with API, I observed that files event does not log in case of external users upload.
Here is my use case, I have shared a folder to a not team member and non team member has uploaded file to a shared folder. In this case when I query API response does not contain any event.
I believe that API should log all the events for any change that is done in the App.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

Thanks for the feedback! I'm sending this request along to the team. For a full file listing, you can use the /2/files/list_folder and /2/files/list_folder/continue user endpoints.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Sophia S.3 New member | Level 1
    Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?