cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Dropbox API and Apples App privacy details on the App Store

Dropbox API and Apples App privacy details on the App Store

mwg
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Apple requires to provide app privacy details (see https://developer.apple.com/app-store/app-privacy-details/ )

While an iOS app uses dropbox to store/read a user's data, it can provide the details for this interaction.

But for how dropbox (company) handles said data is hard to denote in the privacy details.

Probably other devs already went on the journey to collect and provide the required info on app submission to Apple App Store.

It would be great to have some info/support from dropbox to advise on how answer the questions (which might be a subset of the dropbox iOS app privacy details).

Thanks for sharing any info.

Marcus

16 Replies 16

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@mwg I don't have any news on this from the team yet I'm afraid. I'll bring this up with them again though.

fborelli
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

The delay in the response denotes Dropbox's lack of transparency. Please note that developers are responsible for the information collected by the application, including third party libraries. Even Gmail has already informed you of its privacy policy. Unfortunately if nothing is cleared up in the next few days I will be forced to remove the Dropbox integration.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@fborelli Thanks for the feedback! I'll emphasize this with the team.

mwg
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi,

I tried to check the Dropbox App's App Privacy notes itself and see what would make sense for the App Privacy setting in the Apple App Store for an App using the SDK.

As the SDK is limited, the option to have it render an Webview to login exposes the whole Dropbox Frontend and its interaction and therefore makes this aspect a part of your own App. If you would rely on login via the installed Dropbox App, some of the elemtents below would not be needed.

Currently my selection is as follows. I added some remarks in brackets () from my interpretation.
The selection below does not reflect any of my own App's data privacy, but only the ones inherited by integrating Dropbox SDK.

Also for the Data Types and content - there is a set of User Content which very much differs on your use case. My use case is "Other User Content" only, not having video/audio/photos and such.

# Data Types
7 data types collected from this app: Name, Email Address, Other User Content, User ID, Device ID, Product Interaction, Other Diagnostic Data (User Content types depend on your app's data)

# Contact Info
## Name
- Used for App Functionality (you can login to dp via webview in your app, showing names)
- Linked to the user's identity (you can login to dp via webview in your app)

## Email Address
- Used for App Functionality (you can login to dp via webview in your app, showing names)
- Linked to the user's identity (you can login to dp via webview in your app, showing names)
- Used for tracking purposes (dp might use this for tracking as the main dp app does mention it)

# User Content
## Other User Content
- Used for App Functionality
- Linked to the user's identity

# Identifiers
## User ID
- Used for Developer’s Advertising or Marketing, and App Functionality (guessing as dp during Login or API calls could use the data and the main dp app is listing this - e.g. bound in the access token)
## DeviceID
- Used for Analytics, Developer’s Advertising or Marketing, and App Functionality (guessing as dp during Login or API calls could use the data and the main dp app is listing this - e.g. bound in the access token)
- Used for tracking purposes

# Usage Data
## Product Interaction
- Used for Developer’s Advertising or Marketing, App Functionality, and Analytics (guessing that API calls might be used, login also)

# Diagnostics

## Other Diagnostic Data
- Used for App Functionality (not sure)
- Linked to the user's identity (not sure)

mwg
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

@Greg-DB can you please check for an update? Especially since iOS apps would also soon be required to show alerts and ask from confirmation on the tracking of an App with specifics. How would the dropbox team advise how to cope with this if the developer is using a dropbox SDK? Can a user opt out of tracking when the App has incorporated the SDK?

Thanks 

Marcus

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

@mwg The team is working on this, and should have something to share soon. I'll follow up here once that's ready.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

The team has written up guidance on this for the SDKs, which you can find at the following links:

Need more support?