cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
What’s new: end-to-end encryption, Replay and Dash updates. Find out more about these updates, new features and more here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Excel VBA Overriding To Restricted Folders

Excel VBA Overriding To Restricted Folders

petergee
Explorer | Level 3

Hi Dropbox team,

Hope you are all well… I am in desperate need of help please. I have created 2 drop box directories, of which I have Full read and write access (these are numbered 31 and 32 see below.).

• Folder 1 - 31. 360Storage - The Energy Experts
  • Folder 2 - 32. 360Storage - The Energy Experts (Ops)

I have provided full read and write access to The Energy Experts (who are my 3rd party providers), but full read and write access has only been provided to only folder 31.

I have also provided a fully protected excel file whereby the 3rd party enters data, and run a MACRO that I have built. Upon runinng a MACRO, data is created and saved onto directory number 31. There are no issues here.

At the same time, data is to autmatically be added to directory 32. These files are operational files and for that reason, I want these files to be added to this restricted directory, where only I have access. Note my 3rd party has no visibiity of this directory.

As I am responsible for the macro, I am sure I can add code that allows for such files to be added to directory 32, and looking for instrcutions on how to do this. I use EXCEL 2016 VBA for such macros.

I have found a link and I know somethinig can be managed… https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/API-support/Using-API-from-Excel-VBA/td-p/143699

Look forward to your repsonse.

1 Reply 1

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff

The Dropbox API does offer the ability to list, upload, and download files, among other operations. We don't have any specifics resources, such as an SDK or documentation, for VBA in particular though. The API v2 HTTPS endpoints can be directly used by any platform that can make HTTPS calls however. 

For example, to upload a file, you can use the /2/files/upload endpoint.

I recommend looking through the documentation to see if that will suit your needs. There are also curl examples for each endpoint that you can translate for your platform.

If you run in to any issues or have any specific questions just let us know.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?