cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox API Support & Feedback

Find help with the Dropbox API from other developers.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Get the user's email address from the Dropbox Windows desktop application

Get the user's email address from the Dropbox Windows desktop application

icecube9
New member | Level 2

We're building an inventory tool that will read Dropbox information for a particular machine. Getting the Dropbox folder path is easy (get it from info.json), but the only thing I see in info.json pertaining to the user is the host ID. Or, there's the NS ID in the root folder.

How can I get the email address of the user who's logged in? Is there a way to resolve the host ID to the user's email? Is there a way to resolve the NS ID to the user's email?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

3 Replies 3

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
Unfortunately, there isn't any official method for getting the email address from the desktop client, or resolving the host or NS ID to email address, but I'll be sure to pass this along as a feature request.

icecube9
New member | Level 2

Thanks for the prompt response Greg. Is there a "non-official" way to do this? For example, can we crack open the one of the SQLite DB files (they seem to be encrypted) and get this information out?

If not, is there someone we can reach out to at the business level? What we're developing is beneficial to Dropbox's business goals as well and we'd consider a partnership.

Greg-DB
Dropbox Staff
I don't know if there are other ways to accomplish this, but I couldn't recommend or support them in any case, as they would be likely to break without warning and may be against our terms.

If you're interested in a partnership, you can contact our business development team here:

https://www.dropbox.com/contact_bizdev
Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Greg-DB Dropbox Staff
    icecube9 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?